Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

has anyone attached a homemade canvas

awning to a mobile home? what kind of tracking or hooks or? you see, i don't even know where to start with this. is there something i can purchase to attach it. i need the awning over the deck that was put on to keep the sun off. with the reflection from the mobile home, its way too hot to even enjoy sitting on the deck. i can't really afford to have a professional come in and put one in so looking for ideas here. thanks

brenda o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda o View Post
awning to a mobile home? what kind of tracking or hooks or? you see, i don't even know where to start with this. is there something i can purchase to attach it. i need the awning over the deck that was put on to keep the sun off. with the reflection from the mobile home, its way too hot to even enjoy sitting on the deck. i can't really afford to have a professional come in and put one in so looking for ideas here. thanks
I used to have a RV with a retractable awning, but I never had to change it! And I'm having trouble recalling how it attached!
I searched and did find this page that may assist you!

http://www.ehow.com/way_5558086_do-i...placement.html

RV awnings are quite expensive and there may be less expensive options available!

This one may be better! http://www.ehow.com/how_5616078_repl...rv-awning.html

Last edited by Wildie; 03-18-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #3

thanks for the links. Good resources. I'm still looking for ideas on how to attach the awning itself to the mobile home ie can i use a wooden board as a base, what screws, tools do i need. Then use hooks maybe or is there a track of some sort to get. And how do I keep it taut when its out rather than tying like a tarp, hmmm
Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

attaching to the wall or roof line of a mobile home can be tricky even for the pros. Can the wall handle the added load? A big can of worms..how to flash ledger board to make it 100% water tight (to avoid interior damage). Wind loads... how good are the tie-downs? Do you really want a big sail attached to your home?

All things are possible...BUT:

If the goal is shade:

consider something free standing... Big tent..unbrellas....pergola... quick growing shade trees ( are a very green solution)...

stay safe...
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda o View Post
thanks for the links. Good resources. I'm still looking for ideas on how to attach the awning itself to the mobile home ie can i use a wooden board as a base, what screws, tools do i need. Then use hooks maybe or is there a track of some sort to get. And how do I keep it taut when its out rather than tying like a tarp, hmmm
As Big Bob mentioned, its tricky to mount something to a RV!
They are usually made with wooden frame and the awning would have to be anchored to this framing. Just fastening it to the sheeting would result in it blowing off and probably taking the sheeting with it!

perhaps you could look at some RV's in a park or sales yard and see how others have done this!

Its testing my memory, but I believe that a special channel is screwed to the frame and then the awning which has a bead sown into to it, is slid into and along the channel.
Of course, there must be different methods of attaching these, I'm sure!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #6

i built a deck last year and want to add an awning of some sort, money tight and the sun is coming
Old 03-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #7

the post on the "sail" first LOL ok, thanks, i don't want to mess with leaks or siding tear downs. grrr...Maybe i'll opt for an umbrella set or something. but if it could be done........
Old 03-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Put 2 posts near the mobile home, 2 atthe far side of the deck
That way you can attach something & it will not stress the mobile home

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote