Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood Over Ceramic Tile ?? Yes or No

New to the site and ready to learn alot. We have Ceremic tile thru out the down stairs of our home that was installed when we built the house. Big tiles, 18" x 18".. Well as the house settled and the slab decided to allow its small settlemet cracks to occur, these large 18" x 18" tiles decided not to give but rather produce very small cracks in about 8 pieces. Not so large to create any problem but large enough that we are thinking about just laying hardwood on top of the tile, but only in the living room. Are we about to mess up is my first question and if you were to walk into a $400,000 home and see hardwood laid on top of tile only on the living room you it make you stop and go Hmmmmm ?? Pros and cons of doing this project please.

Thanks for any feedback, good or bad...

sigarmsp226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

IMHO you shouldn't put hardwaood on top of the tiles... for one, you wouldn't be able to do a nail down installation, and the increased height of the floor may look strange...

If ther tiles are already cracked, it's really not too much work to lift them and start from scratch...

If I walked into a home that did this, I would go buy another $400K home, unless you have something spectacular about the house or it's location... I think this may decrease it's value.

slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with Slakker. Just take out the tile in the areas you want to put down wood flooring. I can't think of any pros for doing the wood floor over tile.

Removing the tile and exposing the concrete gives you the option of doing an adhesive installation. The transition from tile to wood floor will not be as pronounced if you do this.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250
Question

Just a note of caution before you do anything, including ripping old tile. I'm no expert , furthermore I can't see your home. If tile is cracking as opposed to grout I would want to take up the tile to see what's going on under it, slab wise. What area of the country are you in? How old is the house and how do you know all is stable now? If you plan on selling and just want to cover the problem think about this. Most covers over problems look just like covers over problem. If you are not selling near term but just want a easy fix, think about how you would feel if you were the buyer 5 or 6 years down the road. Would your woud floor be a unnatural looking break between areas? Of course there are lots of other things to consider such as the type of neighborhood and other homes in the area.

Last edited by Docfletcher; 08-14-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote