Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

hardwood or laminate in basement

I'm finishing my basement and want to put a hardwood look around my bar. Can someone help me by directing me on my options and the step by step. I want to have a hardwood look and I was told that I would need to use engineered hardwood due to being below grade. My final concern is that I need something durable due to my three kids and one dog. I also want as thick as possible to flow nicely with the carpet. Thanks for the help

dfarago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #2

the engineered wood/laminate debate depends on whether or not you have any moisture. if there is any doubt, apparently the engineered is better suited. i put pickering (out of business) laminate in our basement 11 yrs ago, and no issues. it is over 2 layers of osb (necessary to level the floor). are you going to insulate w/ foam while you are at it? if you have the room and it is cold where you are, it may be worth it. you can lock a layer of plywood to the floor through the foam. the thing w/ any of these products is the floor must be flat; pickering spec'd 1/8" in 10'. for durability, i guess it's "do you want to sand it some day, or replace it?" we have lam in the basement (11 yrs) and the living room (6 yrs) with a variety of dogs running all over; dachshunds rip around a lot.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #3

Thanks jklingel,

I was considering using engineered 3/8" hardwood with the plastic underlayment so the flooring and the carpet run close to the same height. The other choice I was given was 12mm laminate or pergo with the foam underlayment already attached. I want to use the pergo for durability. When I lay the pergo do you just let it float or do you have to glue it somehow. Thanks again
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 12

real hardwood cant be installed below grade mainly do to moisture. real wood moves with moisture content. thus being a no go.. also it has to be fastened down mechanically via cleats or staples

engineered hardwood is designed for below grade applications as its a veneer over plywood and is made to be stable much like laminate. the key thing is still have a dehumidifier and have it running nearly non stop in the summer months.

as for fastening, you have to go by the manufacturers install specs based on that specific product, some can float, some are stapled down to a subfloor, some are glued, ive done all three methods. and prefer the floating method
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 198

Engineered, looks like wood because it is, not plastic like laminite.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (02-22-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

Hardwood flooring and laminent flooring both will warp in a basement if the basement is not sealed and relative humidity is not kept low.

Last edited by jasin; 02-21-2012 at 06:50 PM.
jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarago View Post
I'm finishing my basement and want to put a hardwood look around my bar. Can someone help me by directing me on my options and the step by step. I want to have a hardwood look and I was told that I would need to use engineered hardwood due to being below grade. My final concern is that I need something durable due to my three kids and one dog. I also want as thick as possible to flow nicely with the carpet. Thanks for the help
Have you looked at tile? Florida tile has some that have a wood look.
M Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
long island, NY

Tile! there are several companies that make tiles which are almost indisinguishable from a wood floor. (porcelanosa is one company)

with all the water / moisture issues in my basement, I'd be a bit worried to even have an engineered floor. Maybe monitor the humidity down there for a while just to make sure it's ok for a wood floor before investing the $$$.
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #9

Thanks guys