Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #1

Share |

Hanging punching bag from attic

I'm trying to hang a punching bag that is 120 lbs and has a 7 inch heavy spring on the chain. Here is a picture of the attic above the garage where I want to hang it. The space between the long 2x6s that the white tube runs across is 2ft.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I was thinking the best idea is to get a 3ft 4x4 and lay it across the joists parallel to the white tube. Then put a 4 inch eye bolt in it and hang the bag from that. It would be 6 inches from the actual ceiling and to prevent the chain from eating up the dry wall I would going to take three 2x4s with a hole drilled in the middle and nail them to the bottom of the 4x4.

It would be nice if I could somehow hand it from the four 2x12s but I couldn't think of a way to do it. The position in my garage would be a lot better that way and I could work all the way around the bag.

There are more pictures if you click the arrows. Any advice is much appreciated!

Isocene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #2

The short 2x's run to the long 2x4 is already carrying it's load. The 2x4 running with the pipe (the next one in) should not be spanning over 7'6", live load. It looks to be about 10'? These will not hold a 4x4 with a bag. You could possibly angle a 6x6 into the space, bearing at the wall, and the built-up beam. Then build down from there.
Be safe, G

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #3

Yeah, I have to agree - a 4x4 across that would bring the ceiling down. Maybe not right away...
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote