Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #1

Share |

Hanging pot rack

I am planning on hanging a pot rack on the ceiling. It weighs about 10-15 lbs, not including the weight of all the pots/pans we will be hanging there.

The location where we are going to hang it is right under the central air handler and all the plumbing coming out from it, so it is next to impossible to get to the joists from the attic to put hangers over the joists to support the pot rack.

So my next option is to attach two brackets to the joists from the kitchen with two lag screws for each bracket. The pot hanger then attaches with chains.

My questions are:

1. How strong are lag screws vertically? Should my described plan above work without everything falling down in a few months?

2. What size (length/diameter) lag screws would you recommend me use?

3. Course or fine thread?

4. Would it be ok to put some adhesive into the pre-drilled holes before I put the lag screws in?

5. Any other option to mount the pot hanger without accessing it in the attic?

Thanks for any help you can provide me!

6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
JOATMON

Hanging pot rack

Your bigger concern is the lint and dust from that air handler blowing across your pots.

As for the pot hanger....by the time you load pots on it....I could see 60 lbs+ of weight on it.

Glue will do little to nothing for you in the screw holes.

1/4" Lag screws about 4" long should be plenty strong. Just make sure you don't pre-drill the hole too large....or too small. A little soap on the lag screw as you screw it in will make it easier.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #3

Hanging pot rack

I hung a pot rack pretty much as dawg described...1/4" x 4" course thread lag eyelets. And then I hung my antique cast iron skillet collection on it. Probably over 125 lbs. all in. Hung over my head for ten years while I cooked and I'm still here to tell the tale.

For 1/4" diameter lags I would pre-drill with a 3/16" bit which is slightly smaller than the minor diameter (diameter of the lag minus the diameter of the threads) of the shaft. That will give you a snug fit with maximum holding power. Drill too small a hole and the lag will crush the wood as you screw it in, reducing its integrity, or even break.

If you live in an older house and the joists are slow-growth pine, which is essentially a hardwood, I would drill the holes to 7/32" or 1/4".
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote