Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2005, 04:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hanging a new interior door

Hi all,

please can anyone tell me step by step the correct way to hang
a new interior door, i already have fitted the new door frame which i built from scratch its all plum & ive left a 3 mil gap around the 2 sides & top, also put the door stop in.

Cheers...

popeyeali71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:10 AM   #2

Hi,

To be honest, if you have the skill to make the frame from scratch then you should have no problems hanging a door!
B&Q have how-to leaflets that show you how to do it and as they say, a picture paints a thousand words.
basically you end up cutting out space on the door for two hinges, but you first have decide which type of hinges you want as there are several varieties. Its important to get them in teh right spot at teh top and bottom of the door, in older doors tehre is a cross member at the top and bottom so placing them across these is strongest.
offer the door up to the hole using wedges, mark out where the hinges go in the frame and cut these out with a chisel to the hinge depth - thats pretty much it except for loads of adjusting!

Cheers

nicknackynoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #3

I agree with nicknacknoo. If you made the frame by scratch hanging the door is not much more difficult at all. In case you can't find any of the leaflets he wrote about here is a link that shows some of the basics for chiseling out the hinge area and stuff.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/Hangingdoor.htm

If hung correctly, and you are carfull on your mesurments. There really shouldent be much adjusting to do.