Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2006, 12:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hanging hooks on hollow core doors

Hello, my wife was wanting me to hang a strip of hooks on the back of our interior 6-panel doors for our bathroom, and I wanted to know if this would be strong enough to hold 3-4 towels. Thanks, Kyle.

hunt_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Hi, I suggest using "molly" or "toggle" bolts to ensure a strong attachment. That would certainly support your towels.

Good luck,

Steve

sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Probably going to get in trouble for diggin' it up from WAY back, but thought I'd share what I did...

I used toggle bolts. I was going to use the standard bolt that comes with it but it was too short. I bought the same size/thread bolt but longer and was able to secure the towel rack to the door no problem. I used this and its rock solid for now (been over 2 years). We have one in the master bath that always has a robe and at least two towels on it. Used it in a closet to hang 2 brooms, a mop, and a swiffer style unit. Also in the kiddos bath to hang towels and its working great.
hunt_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I used 'spread anchors' [my name] for this! These are the ones that are about 5/16" in diameter and are purchased in various lengths to suit the wall/panel thickness! They come with a long 6-32 machine screw. As they are tightened, the 3 'wings' spread out inside the panel. Only draw back is removal! No room for mistakes!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
Probably going to get in trouble for diggin' it up from WAY back, but thought I'd share what I did...
No way! It is always appreciated when people revisit their old threads to let everyone know how the problem was solved and how they did it. That is one old thread for sure!!!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

I know it's not in true DIY fashion but 3m makes a kit for no hole hooks. I noticed yesterday at HD they now have several finishes of metal as well as plastic hooks. The larger hooks will hold a wet full sized towel , bathrobe etc., and if a hook needs to be moved... no hole,or mark to fill and paint.
If your door has embossed wood grain they may not work.

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote