Hanging Cabinets--out Of Square Wall - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Hanging Cabinets--out of square wall

Hi all,

We are hanging cabinets in an old concrete/cinder block kitchen. The problem is that the corner cabinet does not sit flush against the wall on both sides, because the wall is out of square. Actually, its raised in a couple of spots. I put some shims and leveled the cabinet, but there is about a quarter/half inch of my tapcon screws showing between the cabinet and wall. Is this a problem? I know I can cover the gap so its not seen, but is it acceptable to have a screw that is "in mid air"?

Responses much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Advertisement

archsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by archsteve View Post
Hi all,

We are hanging cabinets in an old concrete/cinder block kitchen. The problem is that the corner cabinet does not sit flush against the wall on both sides, because the wall is out of square. Actually, its raised in a couple of spots. I put some shims and leveled the cabinet, but there is about a quarter/half inch of my tapcon screws showing between the cabinet and wall. Is this a problem? I know I can cover the gap so its not seen, but is it acceptable to have a screw that is "in mid air"?

Responses much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

shim this area solid at the screw location

Advertisement

Marbledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #3

Okay, just to be clear, I should shove shims so that the screws go through the shims and into the walls?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

Another thing you could do is make a sleeve out of metal pipe to cover the distance you need... works the same as a shim in that the cut pipe takes the downward force and lets the screw just be a hold down again.

You you would:
1- Measure the gap
2- Cut a 1/2" steel pipe to that length
3- Withdraw the screw far enough so you can slip the metal ring over the hole
4- Redrive the screw
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. We ended up shimming behind the cabinet screw, and putting about 4 tapcons at top and bottom of each cabinet--into cinder block. These things feel pretty dang sturdy. I hope the dishes never come down during the night!