Gyprocing A Basement Ceiling - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gyprocing a basement ceiling

When I gyproc my basement ceiling do I have to put slats (1x3's or 4's) up under the joists or can I put the gyproc directly onto the joists. I have no wires, pipes etc hanging below the joists so I think directly onto the joists would work - any wisdom would be appreciated.

Advertisement

BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

There are several reasons for the strapping. Most times the bottom of the joists are not even, and you can shim the strapping to get your ceiling flat. Another is it will give you a wider area for the joints between the sheets (you're not splitting a 2x in half).

If the bottom of your joists are even and 16" OC, I'd screw and glue the sheets directly. Make sure you use the correct thickness and type for your application.

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

We just finished our basement not too long ago and screwed directly to the joists. It's a 52 year old house with 2x8 joists and it turned out great. In new houses everything is screwed directly to the joists but alot of joists used in the better housing now are TGI joists. Drywall is screwed directly to all the other joists, no different in the basement. WHen I say 'better housing' I mean custom houses.
joel v. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

No need for strapping. As stated above, glue and nail/screw.....