Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gut, insulate, sheetrock????

I recently purchased a duplex, which i will be converting to one home again. 2nd floor is pretty much complete by previous owner. I will be gutting first floor LR and DR(which is currently LR and 2 bedrooms). Currently on walls is wood paneling over plaster over 2x4.Ceiling is plaster which i will also remove and sheetrock. I have to remove the 3 walls that form the 2 bedrooms(2 outlets and 2 switches) and gut outside walls. I will be using 1/2 inch sheetrock. I will also be converting all utilites into one(by professional) there is 2 boilers and 2 water heaters

What insulation should be sufficent as i live in Zone 5? R15 kraft is minimum from what i have researched.
What insulation should i use on ceiling?

Any and all insight is appreciated.

Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Use cellulose, cotton, or mineral (rock) wool batts. Leave the fiberglass at the store. If you want more R and don't want to extend your 2x4s, then you could cut foam boards to fit and Great Stuff around the edges. Use the Airtight Drywall Approach, unless a true vapor barrier is mandated for your area (I doubt that you need a true vapor barrier, but check on that).

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ayuh,... Or have it shot with spray foam, seeing as the walls are wide open...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #4

I took down the walls. FUN. They were like i described. But two walls had some insulation in them. Cellulose dry packed. Which all came down when ripping down lath. I will be checking on the pricing of the spray foam. Which i would think would be costly. Also i have heard that it is unsafe. I would like to go the foam board route with the sealer, as of the info i have gathered. Becasue it gives you a higher R value. Could i then place fiberglass over that to reach a higher R value. Why no to Fiberglass? Is half inch shhetrock sufficent as all my walls are pretty straight?

I am hands on, just not good with the specs. Thank you for the input
Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
Could i then place fiberglass over that to reach a higher R value. Why no to Fiberglass? Is half inch shhetrock sufficent as all my walls are pretty straight?
1/2" sheetrock is Ok for lids 24" OC unless you have somewhere around R60 insulation. On walls, you're good. Search here for "GBR in WA"; Gary has lots of links to a variety of things, somee of which discuss fiberglass insulation and how it is the worst insulation on the planet. I agree wholeheartedly. Search places like greenbuildingadvisor, buildingscience, etc, and you'll see. Besides, who likes to even TOUCH that stuff? I have 13" of it in my walls, and it is doing OK, but in 1980 I did not know better. I'll never touch it again.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #6

Is the foam board mentioned the kind that usally goes on exterior. Spray foam is too exspensive for my budget. I have a 3.5in cavity spaced 14in apart(mostly). Also should i put any insulation in the ceiling as it is going up to m bedrooms. Also was told today most cost efficent way is to air seal with greatstuff then use r15 kraft fiberglass.

Last edited by Commish; 10-14-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Is the foam board mentioned the kind that usally goes on exterior. Spray foam is too exspensive for my budget. I have a 3.5in cavity spaced 14in apart(mostly). Also should i put any insulation in the ceiling as it is going up to m bedrooms. Also was told today most cost efficent way is to air seal with greatstuff then use r15 kraft fiberglass.
Yes, the foam boards are the same. If you want noxious gasses bleeding off into your house forever, then use it inside. Still stuck w/ fiberglass? Yes, it is cheap today, but you'll pay for it later. See here, too: rigid foam insulation on interior Find the money somewhere, I'd suggest, and buy good insulation. It is a fixed cost, and will pay for itself. Good luck. j
Old 10-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #8

I will not be going the fiberglass route. I'm leaning towards spray foam or blown in cellulose. My questions are. What spray foam is good for residential. I have read closed. Also is spray foam safe. Concerning cellulose will they be able to blow it in open cavities. Which one will give me a higher r value and last over time
Old 10-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

and this one
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...l-will-cellulo
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #10

Quote:
I'm....
I will not be going the fiberglass route. Good move.
What spray foam is good for residential. Can of worms. Closed has higher R, and is vapor impervious, I believe, but I have read that it will crack away from studs as the house moves, leaving gaps. As far as I know, ALL foams off-gas for a long, long time. Aren't they all petro products?
Concerning cellulose will they be able to blow it in open cavities. Wet pack. It has an adhesive in it so that it "sets"; you then trim off the excess.