Grout For Small Glass Tiles - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

grout for small glass tiles

Hi All:
Any suggestions for getting a 'good' grout job on small glass decorative tile? I've attached a picture. There will be another row (of three) of the small blue & white tiles below the bottom row of 6x6 white tile (near the bottom). So I'll have to grout all six rows of that little stuff.

I'm under no time constraints, so I'd rather have a nice, clean look even if it takes longer to get it done. Oh, and of course, I'm a total newbie to tile work. Go figure ...

Thanks in advance.

Kim
Attached Thumbnails
grout for small glass tiles-img_1359.jpg  

Advertisement

kbunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Glass tiles get grouted the same as any other tile, so not sure why you are asking. From the pic, non sanded grout. The purpose of grout is to lock the tiles together and waterproof.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Jim's Downstairs Bathroom Project - Page 4 - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

There is a post on grouting a similar tile installation here--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

I read after the fact that there is some type of "prep" release you can coat the tiles with first which helps to clean off and clean up the excess grout...a handy idea on the small profiles. Hope that helps.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

As just stated, you grout the tiles the same way whether they're 1x1's or 12x12's. To get even grout lines you want to, "strike" the joints after the grout has set for 10 minutes or so. You would use a wood dowel. In this case 1/4" one will work. You start from top to bottom and side to side and run the dowel in the grout lines. It compacts the grout and cleans up the line at the same time. After you're done, clean up the droppings and then wipe off the face grout with a damp sponge. A wet sponge will compromise the grout. After you've cleaned off all the grout the first time, you'll do it again. Clean water and a rinsed sponge, Wipe about 3 feet, turn over the sponge and do 3 more feet. Rinse the sponge and repeat the procedure over all the tile. You'll notice there's still a slight haze. Now take the dry terry cloth and wipe the tiles again. The dust will fall to the floor. The tiles are now about 95% clean. The last bit can be cleaned the next day or you can just clean it the next time you clean the bath. Let the tile set at least 24 hours before using it.
When you apply the grout, do it on a 45 degree angle to the grout lines or you'll pull the grout out of the joints.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote