Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Grout cracking at walk-in shower base

Hey guys

I just bought a brand new house and I have a double stand up shower in the master bathroom. On the bathroom floor, Where the tile meets the shower floor pan, the grout is not sticking to the pan. Starting to crack etc There is about an 1/8-1/4 inch gap, similar to the grouted gap in between the rest of the tiles.

My builder says that its a high-traffic area and there is flexing as you walk in & out of the shower so the grout wont stick well to tub fibrrglass surface and he would get it siliconed, however I was wondering if anyone knew a way to get grout to stick to the fibrrglass pan. I would imagine I can silicone over it once it's dry and this would help to prevent the cracking

Thanks for your help

OnlyOneKeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Not a Noob or Boob

Funny how things will stick to things when you don't want them to, and other times, when you do, they won't.

Really depends on the grout. Also, there shouldn't be enough flex in the floor to cause this. It is usually the product used or the amount and type of liquid used to mix the grout. Epoxy grout sticks to everything, but is more expensive, so not used by many tilers.

Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

Grout should not be there at all---remove as much grout as you can and then caulk that joint using a flexible caulk---I use 100% silicone at all 'change of plane' intersections--corners--wall/pan--

Others like to use color match acrylic caulks---
DrHicks (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #4

What mike said. Any good tile store should have colored sanded caulk, what is needed in a crack that size.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 24

It's probably not the flex in the floor that is causing the cracking, but instead the flex in the pan when you shower. As said above, that area should be caulked, not grouted.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
Hey guys

I just bought a brand new house and I have a double stand up shower in the master bathroom. On the bathroom floor, Where the tile meets the shower floor pan, the grout is not sticking to the pan. Starting to crack etc There is about an 1/8-1/4 inch gap, similar to the grouted gap in between the rest of the tiles.
My builder says that its a high-traffic area and there is flexing as you walk in & out of the shower so the grout wont stick well to tub fibrrglass surface and he would get it siliconed, however I was wondering if anyone knew a way to get grout to stick to the fibrrglass pan. I would imagine I can silicone over it once it's dry and this would help to prevent the cracking
Thanks for your help
Grout can not be expected to stick to the shower pan. It won't do it and should have never been grouted to begin with. Caulk is always used in those type of locations.

The grout should be totally removed at that juncture and caulk installed.

According to industry standards that would be an "installer error".
Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Not a Noob or Boob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Grout can not be expected to stick to the shower pan. It won't do it and should have never been grouted to begin with. Caulk is always used in those type of locations.

The grout should be totally removed at that juncture and caulk installed.

According to industry standards that would be an "installer error".
OnlyOne, forgive my answer, I didn't read your OP close enough. Bud, and others are correct, grout should never go between different planes. It should be caulk or grout caulk. I have never had a problem with color matching when I got the same brand grout caulk as grout.

Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1975 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-04-2012)