Grout Or Caulk? How? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Grout or Caulk? How?

Hello gang...this is my first posting and I'm hoping that someone out here can help me. I'm a bit of a DIY newbie...particularly when it comes to grouting.

I'm trying to figure out whether to Grout or Caulk the corner of a shower stall. The existing grout has cracked in various places where the 2 walls meet. I'm hearing that one should caulk where 2 walls meet, but I'm not sure.

Also, how do you go about doing it...so for example, do I use a grout bag for getting grout into the 45 degree angle, or is there some other method? With caulk, I imagine you could tool it in with your finger, but not sure with grout.

I greatly appreciate any resident experts out there sharing their perspective on this...

Thanks!!

CP

Advertisement

coolptnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Grout or Caulk? How?

Lots of tile guys say to caulk those change of plane areas. I don't have the answer, but they do at the tile forums at johnbridge.com
Do a search there and you will find lots of comments from guys that make a living doing tile work. One of the best forums on the internets, IMO.

Advertisement

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Grout or Caulk? How?

Verticle/horizontal joints expand/contract at different rates, grout will not survive long there, always use caulk. Flat surfaces, use grout.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Grout or Caulk? How?

Bill and 7Echo...looks like caulk is the way to go. I also looked at the Johnbridge.com site and they concur.

Thanks much to you both for your input. Its much appreciated!!
coolptnr is offline   Reply With Quote