Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
diy'er

Share |

Grinding down cement

So here's my problem.
Husband installed a cement curb to hold back the base rock and sand for our pavers.
The cap stones are about 3/8" higher then the pavers, so we need to grind down the cement curb by 3/8" so that the surfaces are level.
The curb is about 6" wide and 16 ft long, one side has sand against it and the other is a drop off to dirt.

Are there any tools out there that can help grind down the cement curb by 3/8"

Thanks

la15ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #2

Grinding down cement

It might be easier to remove enough pavers back from the curb and gradually raise them up to the curb height. Back 3-4' should do it. That would make it 1/8" per foot or less.
Grinding 3/8" evenly for that length will be very hard. It will also expose an aggregate pattern you might not like.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #3

Grinding down cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildstrong View Post
I also agree that it would `be easier to remove enough pavers back from the curb and gradually raise them up to the curb height. Yet I would also say that you take the opinion of an architect or engineer.

Building Equipment
Can you explain why you think you need, " the opinion of an architect or engineer. " for this? It's a 3/8" lip of concrete and some pavers, on the ground, sitting on sand.
Maybe I'm missing some deeper issue.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #4

Grinding down cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Can you explain why you think you need, " the opinion of an architect or engineer. " for this? It's a 3/8" lip of concrete and some pavers, on the ground, sitting on sand.
Maybe I'm missing some deeper issue.
Ron
The deeper issue was that he is a spammer - now gone
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Grinding down cement

Ron's right. If it were me, I'd be thinking about reseting the pavers, not chipping away concrete.

But it's doable. Like if I had a gun to my head, I could make it work. I would get a couple masonry blades, put it on my oldest circular saw (one that I wouldn't care if it died). Then make some 1/2" deep cuts, knock the material away with a Hilti and a spade bit, try to even it out. Then go over that with some epoxy patch or concrete patch to even it out more. I wouldn't be expecting perfection, unless I had done it before (I have a concrete crew that refurbishes steps, equipment pads, etc, in manufacturing plants). It is doable. I personally could live with that in a boiler room or a tank farm. But my front walk or patio, I don't know.

In the end, it's probably easier and the final product will be nicer if you pull the pavers up and add some base and reset the pavers.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #6

Grinding down cement

Yeah - cutting down that much cement is major undertaking
Reset the pavers
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #7

Grinding down cement

even i like the idea of raising the pavers & we grind conc for a living,,, otoh, watching an engineer actually WORK would be fun & a 1st most of 'em tell us how to do it

rentable 6 or 7" grinder, dust masks, safety glass's, turbo diamond cup wheel - your price under $200.00,,, raising the pavers - just time,,, seeing an engineer actually WORK rather'n stand back & watch ? PRICELESS
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #8

Grinding down cement

when you see those big fat slow softballs, you just gotta swing for the fences,,, no offense meant !
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #9

Grinding down cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsconcrete View Post
even i like the idea of raising the pavers & we grind conc for a living,,, otoh, watching an engineer actually WORK would be fun & a 1st most of 'em tell us how to do it

rentable 6 or 7" grinder, dust masks, safety glass's, turbo diamond cup wheel - your price under $200.00,,, raising the pavers - just time,,, seeing an engineer actually WORK rather'n stand back & watch ? PRICELESS

yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
texas115115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
diy'er

Grinding down cement

Raising the pavers it is.
What a chore but much more doable then trying to grind down the cement.
Thanks guys

la15ota is offline   Reply With Quote