Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Grill slipping inside window

In the front of my house I have a door with two side windows. The windows have grills sandwiched between two panes of glass. Here's the problem:

One of the grills came unglued and has slipped into a very crooked state. The window looks terrible and my wife is not happy.

Everyone I have spoken to says I need to replace the window to fix the problem. However everyone who has come to look at the window says that I need to replace the door and the windows on both sides as it is all one set.

Any suggestions on how I might be able to fix the grill inside the window? I really don't want to tear out the whole front of my house.

CharlieCoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Windowpartsguy

Rewards Points: 10

Grill slipping inside window

Something doesn't make sense here, we will probably need more info or a picture.

If the sidelites are "modern" enough to have grills between the glass, can't you pull out the IG unit and replace? Most sidelites are commodity items, just like 9 lite, 15 lite etc glass inserts are in the door.

Do you have the plastic rim that goes all the way around the glass with screws (or hopefully screw caps) that go to another plastic rim on the other side? (by this i mean 1 outside the house, 1 inside the house). If yes, then it is a commodity insert.

If not, are they saying you can NOT get the glass out period? Or are the grills "special" and nobody wants to track them down?
How old is the door? Steel? Fiberglass?

Macattac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grilles, window, window to door