Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Great Stuff Foam Between Walls

I have an older home with Rock Lathe and plaster. There are fur strips so I have roughly 3/5 of an inch between my exterior wall and interior wall.

If I bought a bunch of cans of that great stuff foam and sprayed into my walls would that help? I was thinking about drilling a bunch of quarter inch holes and blowing that into the holes. Than patching and painting.

chadwilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

is 3/5 actually 3/5 or do you mean 3 to 5 inches?

If the first, that is not enough to do much of anything other than prevent air infiltration,

If the latter, spray foam is a possibility but the little cans aren't cheap and you have to be careful about expanding foam. It can bow out a wall.

You could blow in glass or cellulose insulation or there is a foam (icynene I think) that is made to be installed into a closed wall. via the hole in the wall method.

the problem you have to be concerned with is getting adequate fill. That is where the proper tools would be extremely important and the little can with the little nozzle just isn't going to cut it.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I opted not to do it. I meant 3/4. I Agree with what you are saying. I would need too many cans and too many holes.
chadwilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote