Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Share |

Got my first saw...now what

A little background....I want to start getting into woodworking...or at least start building some things. Some future projects that I want to tackle are shelves, poker table, and possibly an arcade cabine for MAME. I have zero experience but I catch on pretty quickly.

I want to start off with small minor projects to help familiarize myself with the power tools that I will be using. Perhaps a cutting board/butchers block, cat house, washer (ring) toss boxes, etc.

I picked up a circular saw the other day as from the research that I have done, it seems to be one of the more versatile power saws out there. I have the other basics, hammers, screwdrivers, drills, etc.

Questions

1) Any good websites or plans where I can attempt to build something designed for begginers?

2) Which tools would you reccommend I should pick up next? Right now I am looking at either a jig saw, sawzall, router, or palmsander.

3) Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks all

elementz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #2

I'm relatively new to woodworking myself, I've built a few benches, wine rack, cutting boards. I would recommend a good hand saw (high TPI, not too big, mine is 10"), block & bench planes (make sure you research these), clamps (bar-style and bench mounted), chisels, marking/mortising gauge, squares. I picked up a book on woodworking and started small, practicing making joints and cuts by hand before using any power tools. I think power tools (i.e. dovetail jigs, motisers) are great, but I want to be able to make these things by hand and get the fundamentals down first. There are some good magazines with plans in them at the grocery or book store. I just pick something at random that I think I could use and/or sell off afterward and have at it. If working with hardwood, I'd do the first project or two with a cheaper hardwood, as there is a learning curve and you will make mistakes.

Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #3

Lots to cover in this regard, but I'll try a starting shot. You will need places to store various tools, etc., so build some boxes; some with hinged tops, and some with fitted tops, some with inexpensive utility handles, some with cleat type handles, etc. May sound pretty basic, but they're something that you can probably use, and not always as easy as they may appear, in regarding to getting the joints, hinges, and latches to align properly. Determine the size that you will build, and when you are done, compare your finished product to your drawing. If, as an example, you are off an eight of an inch someplace, you'll learn that you forgot to allow for your kerf, and things such as that. Measure your diag's carefully, to see how square you are. Just my 2 cents.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #4

elementz,
One of the best purchases I've made was a Sliding compound miter saw.
I got a hardly used Bosch 10" on Craigslist for 2/3 the cost of new.
Another handy item to have in your tool box (so to speak) is a cutting guide to use with your new circ saw.
They help you make straight cuts fast.
There are hundreds of woodworking magazines and websites you can peruse for ideas.
You can even build some yard items to start off...trellises, gates, archways,....
A router is good to have to cut dadoes (grooves) for shelving etc.
A table saw is great to have as well....the list will be endless depending on your ability.

One great way to get familiarized with woodworking is to take a night school course at your local trade school.
And don't forget to check what's available at the library.
Have fun.
Do It Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #5

To start out, a table saw is a good base. If you're going to build things, any things, you'll need clamps to hold it together and nails or screws to hold it there. You could just hand nail it to start, but a finish nailer is a very nice way of nailing things. You could buy pneumatic nailers and a compressor to run it. They have kits which you can get with pin and finish nailers along with a small compressor. Or you can get a battery powered unit and have more freedom to work around the house without lugging a compressor or hose.
For woodworking, you can skip the sawzall.
As you get more into larger projects, you'll need different tools. As you get to that point start looking for them on Craig's List and Ebay. You can get some very good buys from other peolpe who wanted to get into woodworking, but lost interest.
There's no reason to run around gathering up tools you think you might need.
If you buy a tool, buy a quality one. There's nothing as expensive as a cheap tool.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Willie T (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
There's nothing as expensive as a cheap tool.
Ron
....Or dangerous.

Ron's right, Buy quality.
I've never heard of someone complaining about a quality tool.
....but I've heard many about cheap ones!
I better stop before I open a can of worms here....
I'm sure there's already a huge thread about quality tools.
Do It Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
DIY staff

You asked about a good web site--I think this one is the best--Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

These folks have great patience with new woodworkers--

As to future tools---The table saw is the center of any wood shop--
With table saws bigger=safer and easier to use. Keeping the work piece stable and in balance requires a larger table than the little portable saws can provide.

Good luck--have fun---Mike---
Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Since you are just starting out, you need to get the basics in your shop first. I think by your post that you've recognized this. My suggestion for power tools is in order; Jig saw, sander, router. Sawzalls are nice for some work, but not especially useful for shop projects. Start with small, simple projects like you've described until you are used to handling the tools. As you move to more complex projects, you will soon learn what tools you should have next. I can't stress the need to learn to confidently use the tools that you have. It will make you more accurate and more safe. As for hand tools, squares and clamps would top my list. Read all you can about basics. Many people mis-use equipment because they never bothered to learn. They end up frustrated and quit or destroy good equipment or become a danger to others around them (sometimes all three simultaneously ).
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Home Performance

Get some safety glasses.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #10

For building an arcade cabinet, you're going to need a drill. I'd go for a cordless drill by Dewalt, Makita, Rigid, or so forth. You need one with some oomph to put all those 1" holes through the control panel. And you're going to use it to put lots of screws in. I use my cordless drill a lot more than my saw, and the cheap drills ($100 or less) just don't hold up.

If you want any curves on your cabinet, then you need a jig saw.

If you want t molding, then you need a router.

To cut straight lines with a circular saw you need a straight edge and some clamps. You're going to want an 8' straightedge to be able to rip a sheet of plywood. You can buy one (aluminum) or make one from a sheet of OSB.

You need two sawhorses. That's a good first project. You can make them from 2x4s. It will give you practice using the saw, and 2x4s are cheap wood. Look up plans online. Cutting boards are difficult unless you have a planer and a jointer (or insane skill with a hand plane).

You don't need a sawzall for general "project" carpentry, but if you're going to do any house renovations it's near the top of your list.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #11

Build your self a workbench!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #12

Hey, I have a mame cabinet and its an awesome thing. I didn't build the cabinet but bought a run down one(Double Dragon) and brought it back to life.

Good luck with your projects and if you have any questions about it, pm me.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
Tileguy

Quote:
Good luck with your projects and if you have any questions about it, pm me.
Yow, don't come back here to DIY Chatroom to ask your questions where hundreds of people will see them and offer many varying suggestions. Just PM Joey and get his singular advice.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline
Yow, don't come back here to DIY Chatroom to ask your questions where hundreds of people will see them and offer many varying suggestions. Just PM Joey and get his singular advice.
Wait, what was that about?
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
DIY staff

Joey---This is a forum---people come here to share info and sometimes have a good chuckle--

I'm sure that is what Bud was poking you for---Some times we like to poke a little fun ----Mike---