Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Share |

Goodbye, big tree

Had to vent about this a bit. It was time, it hadn't produced any real leaves in several years, and the center was rotten about 15" in diameter through the trunk. But I grew up staring at this tree. It was one of the oldest in town, and had a twin on the university property across the street (that was cut down for a parking lot). It was pretty amazing to watch the treecutters at work, but bittersweet. Here's the best before, during, and after shots I have.
Attached Images

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #2

Goodbye, big tree

Sorry to see that you lost an old friend, but looks like the tree service did a great job of clearing it out and cleaning everything up. It opens up the corner of your lot and looks great!

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Goodbye, big tree

Tree, what tree.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #4

Goodbye, big tree

Interestingly, documents in the title abstract from 1899 mention the big tree specifically. There were huge Elm trees all up and down the cross street but all succumbed to the Dutch Elm blight in the 70's and 80's.

Yes, my mom was more than happy with the job they did. Of all the quotes she got they were around $400 less than everyone else. Took about 4-5 hours. They even cut a section from the base of the trunk, about 42" diameter and 4" thick, for her to keep as a planter platform or something. Guy did almost a perfectly smooth cut with a chainsaw....skills.

To finish out the day, I replaced a window in my house, scraped and painted 5 window frames, and replaced a garage door spring. Long day off.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
KemoSabe

Goodbye, big tree

That is a beautiful house. Very nice lines. Losing the tree is not a bad thing.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #6

Goodbye, big tree

Thank you for the compliment. My dad and I worked on it from the time I was old enough to hold tools for him. I love that house. It gave me my appreciation for old construction techniques, that's for sure. And influenced me to buy an old house across town and start fixing it up. It took 25 years of weekends but it turned out well. The final big job was the roof, which I finished the week after my dad passed away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marqed97 For This Useful Post:
loneframer (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Goodbye, big tree

General rule of thumb -- if you have to cut down a big old tree like that (or any tree really), plant at least one new one. This way people in the future will have the same pleasure of a mature shade tree that you did.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Goodbye, big tree

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the first picture was, "Hey - great house!"

And yeah, I hate to see beautiful old trees cut down, but eventually it becomes necessary. I agree with the sentiment that somebody ought to plant 1 or 2 new ones in its place.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #9

Goodbye, big tree

That's the plan so far. The ones that were cut down on the boulevard in the 80's have slowly been replaced by neighbors (the city has no interest...odd, because we are a 'tree city usa'). My moms been trying to think of what kind to put in it's place.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #10

Goodbye, big tree

RIP. Seriously, you made the right choice by taking it down, sounds like it was getting into a dangerous condition. I have seen the results of trees like that that have fallen on buildings - not pretty!

mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote