Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Share |
Default

Good ladder for 18 ft high ceiling reach?


Oh, trust me. Straight up is weird. I have used attached ladders to go up many buildings but that was just to get to the roof. When you are on a straight up ladder trying to work, it give a new meaning to clinching.

there is a trick that a lot of guys can do. When I do it, I get stuck and getting out is very difficult buy basically, you put one leg through the ladder and then hook your foot on a rung or the side rail. You stand on the one leg you did not put through the ladder..

My leg goes to sleep real fast and since I am not the lightest guy, it puts a lot of pressure on the back of my knee and becomes painful quite quickly.

You have to be quite comfortable working on ladders to use a trestle and especially if you use that trick.

personally, I like scaffolding or the one man lift I linked to. Hard to beat:

going up <push button>

going down <push button>

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
Thumbs up

Good ladder for 18 ft high ceiling reach?


Recently, I bought a Tripod Ladder made by a new ladder company called -----. The ladder system is amazingly light weight and compact. I have used it to change light bulbs at 18' high ceiling. It works great for me and you may go to their web site at REMOVED for more info.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 09-12-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: as per forum rules
AmateurDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
Electrician
 
Proby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 818
Default

Good ladder for 18 ft high ceiling reach?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurDIY View Post
Recently, I bought a Tripod Ladder made by a new ladder company called ----. The ladder system is amazingly light weight and compact. I have used it to change light bulbs at 18' high ceiling. It works great for me and you may go to their web site at REMOVED for more info.
Who wants to take bets that the IP of this poster resolves to Troy, Michigan- home of the ---- company?
__________________
Anything fun is either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 09-12-2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: as per forum rules.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 30
Default

Good ladder for 18 ft high ceiling reach?


Rent an aerial lift, it's like $100 for a day and well worth it. http://www.55rental.com/ladderslifts...s-c-74_76.html
mserrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 1,294
Default

Good ladder for 18 ft high ceiling reach?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mserrino View Post
Rent an aerial lift, it's like $100 for a day and well worth it. http://www.55rental.com/ladderslifts...s-c-74_76.html
A lift inside a finished house..... kinda well.... overkill
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #21
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,197
Default

Good ladder for 18 ft high ceiling reach?


I can rent this for $45 a day $160 a week at my local rental place. Itís perfect for vaulted interiors.
http://www.scaffoldframe.com/Snappy_...ng_p/mpss6.htm
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #22
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,197
Default

Good ladder for 18 ft high ceiling reach?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Oh, trust me. Straight up is weird. I have used attached ladders to go up many buildings but that was just to get to the roof. When you are on a straight up ladder trying to work, it give a new meaning to clinching.

there is a trick that a lot of guys can do. When I do it, I get stuck and getting out is very difficult buy basically, you put one leg through the ladder and then hook your foot on a rung or the side rail. You stand on the one leg you did not put through the ladder..

My leg goes to sleep real fast and since I am not the lightest guy, it puts a lot of pressure on the back of my knee and becomes painful quite quickly.

You have to be quite comfortable working on ladders to use a trestle and especially if you use that trick.

personally, I like scaffolding or the one man lift I linked to. Hard to beat:

going up <push button>

going down <push button>
The problem with the lifts is even the small ones weigh about a thousand pounds. How much weight do you want rolling on your finished floors?
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 773
Default

Good ladder for 18 ft high ceiling reach?


I feel for you, dude. My cathedral ceiling is only 12' high, but painting some trim around the ceiling fan made me real nervous. Even 12' feels high when you are up there. Standing 2 steps from the top of a stepladder that high would make a lot of people very uncomfortable. At one point I had the use of a scaffold, and that was the most secure that I felt. See if you can rent a scaffold.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 13,880
Default

Good ladder for 18 ft high ceiling reach?


If it was me, and I needed to do something that high, I would rent scaffolding.


Last edited by gregzoll; 09-13-2011 at 04:56 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Height of a ceiling fan with a trey ceiling? Bacardi 151 Electrical 7 09-08-2010 10:55 AM
Ceiling Repairs and Muresco Paint: Seamless Paint Job Possible? Lovegasoline Painting 4 11-25-2009 02:06 PM
16' - 18' ceiling, how to get up there? madcitysw Off Topic 17 01-18-2008 10:25 PM
Ceiling Joist Beam Construction? Stargazer Building & Construction 1 08-26-2007 10:50 PM
Rod Lengths for Ceiling Fans and Mini Pendants Not Sure Electrical 6 10-24-2006 11:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.