Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Share |

Good Inspector Experience

I have been searching around on this forum and have found lots of bad experiences people have had with city permit inspectors.

So does any body have any good experiences they don't mind sharing? From what you read online you would think they are all incompetent jerks hell bent on making your life as a DIY'er a living hell.

I have only dealt with one, really nice guy pointed out some things he really liked to see with my build and a few things that he didn't like as much. Also gave me tips on how to fix the issues and some better/easier ways i might be able to do things. Also brought a bone for my dog

FYI permits are surprisingly inexpensive , had a neighbor who wouldn't get any permits because he was told by a contractor that they cost 1000's of dollars .

linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
DIY staff

Inspectors are humans---with all humans they range from wonderful people you are glad you met all the way to scary.

I've had mostly good experiences with inspectors --If you follow the codes and exceed them--

Don't try to pull any sneaky business,Lie or waste their time---most just want to get the job inspected and move on---

People with lots of bad inspector stories-----Well,lets just say,how interesting it would be to hear the inspectors side of the story.

Know your codes--do your homework and you will be fine---(usually)--Mike---

jomama45 (02-17-2011), kwikfishron (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #3

For the most part, I have had good experiences with inspectors. Threat them as you would like to be treated, and it makes things easier. They are willing to be helpful if you don't act like the south end of a north bound donkey.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #4

The inspector who came over to do the final inspection on my deck was a good guy. He pointed out two places where he wanted lag bolts added and one thing he wanted done with the stairs to make it safer for the kids. He was very nice about it.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
A Little Of Everything

My experience has been fine. Nothing great - though I've never thought that I'd become best buddies with an inspector. But I haven't had any problems either. Just business as usual.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote