Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |
Cool

go karts

im making a go kart and was wondering what people thought about me useing a 5 inch pully on top and a 6 inch pully on the bottom. im looking for speed n still have torque. yes i no a belt sytem isnt that good but it is wht i have decided to go with a belt so that way i can have the motor at any rpm i want n not worrie about it going in to gear. with out having to get a gear box. the motor is a 8 hp n is off an old snowblower soit dose have torque.

tell me what you think thanks
dienam3less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Contractor

go karts

Sounds like you're ready for Bonneville. LOL

Do you have a clutch? What kind?

Google Jr. Dragsters, you'll have a good time and find out what you can do with a 8 HP engine. If it's a B&S, you can go to 11 HP without many alterations.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
registered

go karts

My best friend growing up raced go karts he was bigtime. He use to travel and even took 2nd place in daytona florida. He ended up messing his foot up and had to give it up. The accident went like this. He was going around the track and stuck his foot out so he wouldn't hit the wall and really messed his foot up. He had so many trophy's i swear at least over a hundred. His go cart ran on a special alcohol blended fuel when he would fire it up you could here it from blocks away. He raced laps around the track on his go cart. He gave it up when we were in early years of highschool. That was when he was walking around with his foot all messed up.He was offered to turn pro at one time but turned it down because he couldn't play in anything school related once you turn pro.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
Contractor

go karts

My next door neighbor in Ft. Laud owned General Casting and Machine in Pompano. He built his kid a go-kart using a 40 HP outboard engine. That mother was loud and would FLY! Had a posi rearend too, he could torch the rearend and hold a straight line. Slip the clutch a bit and he would wheelie for a few hundred feet, probably could have gone farther if he could have seen where he was going.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #5

go karts

wow 40 hp... thats alot. on a scale of 1-10 how hard is it to make the 8 hp in to a 11 hp? im talking about in a normal garage. no machines... only drills and welder n things like that. also what size pullys do you all think i should use? the clutch is going to b a pully being push or pulled against the belt. the pully is going to be atached to a rod witch will go to a pedal. i have a web site that you can go to to look at my gokart but it is down right now i will get back to all of you with that
Old 02-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #6

go karts

Or you could do what my uncle and I did for my mini bike..We got a torque converter, they're about 200 bucks though, but at idle rpms it doesn't move, but once it reaches a certian rpm the pully's grab the belt. We're using an 8 horse kohler. I'm trying to understand your idea....so what you wanna do is make it so the further you push the throttle in, the more the pully clamps agqainst the belt? With the torque-a-verter, you can still run chains too, like the actual converter itself uses a belt, but then it has a small output sprocket, and u run the cahin from that, to the sprocket on the axle.
pastfast125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #7

go karts

there is going to be 3 pedals.
1-gas
2-brake
3-the one to push against the belt

i want the on that pushes against the belt aka clutch pedal to be on the left and also have the brake on the left. the gas to be on the right. is that more clear?