DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Glue for rubber to plastic

15K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ultrarunner2017 
#1 ·
Hi;
I bought a cheap hand lawn edger, and the rubber tire is already slipping off of the plastic wheel.
I guess I shouldn't have expected much for $30, but the construction other than this tire issue looks solid.

I would like to attempt gluing the tire back onto the wheel, so I need a strong adhesive that will bond rubber to plastic, and be able to sustain torque forces as the edger is pushed along.

The tire is still in one piece; Just slips off of the wheel, because the only thing holding it on are tiny overlapping edges of the tire that fit over the edges of the wheel.

Thanks for your help

FW

#2 ·
If you ruff up the plastic wheel and rubber tire with 120 or 150 grit a polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) should work. If you have never used this type of adhesive try it on some scrap of a similar material to what you need to glue to get an idea of how much you need to use. It will expand to fill all the voids so you do not want to over apply it. This is a moisture cured glue so if the humidity is low (under 50%) dampen (not wet) the surfaces you are gluing.

Rege

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.