Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Glass and metallic mosaic tile

I'm in the process of remodeling a very small bathroom. I have chosen a 1 inch glass mosaic tile that also has some tiles covered with or made of satin nickel. The area that will be covered is only 16 by 36 inches, so I thought I was being efficient (not wasting material) by purchasing pre-mixed adhesive and pre-mixed grout from the big-box store from where I also purchased the tile. My worry is that there might be sand in the grout that will scratch the glass and metal surfaces, and the container has no information that mentions glass or metal specifically...only "mosaic" (which to me just means "small tiles).

Since I started looking for answers, I've now read some pretty negative things about pre-mixed products (including the brand I purchased, "Simple Grout").

I need some guidance and suggestions so I don't ruin my tile.

Thanks.

homefixgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #2

Buy unsanded grout you mix it yourself. No different then mixing batter for a cake except the grout will be a tad thicker.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Tileguy

Return the premixed products. They are NOT recommended for glass or metal tiles. Don't ask the guys wearing the orange aprons for advice either - they don't know.

Use unsanded grout and use "modified thinset" for the adhesive. You won't scratch the glass so don't fret over that. You would scratch the metal long before you would scratch the glass.

You can buy modified thinset tile mortar in small boxes but you may have to go to Ace hardware to find it.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you who offered help. I'm off to the big-box to return the pre-mixed grout tomorrow. I knew I needed unsanded grout, but couldn't find information about whether the product I had had sand or not. Glad to know it was the wrong stuff BEFORE I made a mess. Thank you both for your help.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Dorf dude...

Be sure and post pictures of your project. dorf dude...
Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #6

Question

Okay...I bought a GORGEOUS faucet made by Kraus. I can't get it connected so it won't leak. The male water line connections coming from the bottom of the faucet, which under normal circumstances (I would think) would be threaded round pipe are indeed threaded, but the sides of both pipe parts have been sliced off. If you were to place the pipe on a piece of paper and draw around it, it would appear to be an oval: two flat sides and two threaded round ends. The water lines coming from the shut-off valves are round...no flat sides on the female connections. (Of course that would make connecting next to impossible.) All the teflon tape in the world and even the best washers can't hold back the leaks.

You guys have been fantastic...I hope you have an idea of what I'm describing and more, that you have a solution to this problem. I love the look of the faucet (and that's important to me...I AM female). I don't really want to have to return this faucet, but if it's going to leak, it just won't work. I don't want to empty a bucket every day.

Thanks for your help again...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
You guys have been fantastic...I hope you have an idea of what I'm describing and more, that you have a solution to this problem. I love the look of the faucet (and that's important to me...I AM female). I don't really want to have to return this faucet, but if it's going to leak, it just won't work. I don't want to empty a bucket every day.
Yes we do!~
IF, I am understanding your problem:
You need "cone washers". http://www.azpartsmaster.com/cone-washers.aspx
Slide the nut over the supply line, slide the cone washer over the supply line, poke the supply line into the faucet, gently thread-on the nut so as not to cross-thread it, snug it up tight. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN IT. You really don't even need a wrench.
The cone washers should have come with the faucet but maybe not. Some supply lines have the cone washers made onto them when you buy them.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #8

Thumbs up

This is FANTASTIC. I can't thank you enough. I guess I got in a bit over my head. The faucet did not come with any washers, but this proved to be the solution. Thank you again. I'm so glad you were around to help. Once the grouting is finished around the sink, I'll post a photo. I like the progress...and there's hope that it will work as it is supposed to, thanks to you.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #9

The instruction sheet should be pretty specific as to the installation. Oval pipes are not your every day connection. Something is askew.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
Tileguy

Glad to be able to help.

Good luck, anxious to see the final results.