Girl Cave Plans: AC Vent Question - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Question

Girl Cave Plans: AC Vent question

I now have plans for my "girl cave" room. I love the layout, but I'm concerned about an 84" cabinet in this room (by the door) that might cause a problem. It's only going to have a 10" leeway. Is this enough for the room to ventilate air/heat? The vent is located out about 4" from the wall.

The first two pics are my choices. The one on the right, I'm thinking about going with.

I really love these plans. But, if I have to go back to the drawing board, I will.

Oh! I threw in my own drawings of the closet......just for fun! Some of you have read my threads on it! It's all in this same room.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Girl Cave Plans:  AC Vent question-exbedroom2.jpg   Girl Cave Plans:  AC Vent question-closet-plan.jpg   Girl Cave Plans:  AC Vent question-exbedroom1.jpg  

Advertisement

downrightart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

May I offer a few ergonomic suggestions? You might want to consider squaring off that desktop with a diagonal front. (Between the two 1824's)

And side drawers like that can be a real bear to conveniently open while seated in a chair that blocks their travel.

You may also find the direction of the door swings on the W 3630 and the W 3930 problematic. (the doors closest to the corner)

You may also want to consider swinging the entry door so it opens against the side of the cabinet so you can easily reach the light switches when you walk into the room.

Are you planning 'under cabinet' lighting? That's going to be a dark corner without it. Shadows will be cast from any ceiling illumination.

Advertisement

Last edited by Willie T; 04-03-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #3

Let me see if I can answer these one at a time or have it clarified. And thanks for responding Willie T! I'm responding in RED.

May I offer a few ergonomic suggestions? You might want to consider squaring off that desktop with a diagonal front. (Between the two 1824's) I'm kinda confused on what you mean. Being an artist.....and not understanding construction lingo(and never read directions unless the illustrations don't get it explained), I need a visual please!

And side drawers like that can be a real bear to conveniently open while seated in a chair that blocks their travel. What do you suggest? One might be a filing drawer (for patterns, art references, plans, etc), but the the other one I want mainly pull out drawers organized for sewing and my art supples.

You may also find the direction of the door swings on the W 3630 and the W 3930 problematic. (the doors closest to the corner)

You may also want to consider swinging the entry door so it opens against the side of the cabinet so you can easily reach the light switches when you walk into the room. It's not to scale. I think I have almost 3 feet from the from the (PS2424) cabinet by the door. The light switch there is right at the door.

Are you planning 'under cabinet' lighting? That's going to be a dark corner without it. Shadows will be cast from any ceiling illumination. Oh man, yes! I might wait for the electrician to come after we install the cabinets. Because I have no idea where or how to do that. But, I sure want to be here when it does it so I'll have some idea how this is done!

It's a crafts/sewing/reading/relaxing/artwork.....kinda room. I most definitely need lighting!

So, are we saying the vents are really nothing to worry about?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

This shows approximately what you have designed now on the left (all in blue)

The one on the right shows a triangle filling in the acute corner, and the cabinets turned so the drawers open alongside the chair. Of course, you would have to play around with exact fits, and also the possible interference with any other cabinets along side the 18's.

Also, I think you'll find you may not use all of that 24" depth on the cabinets. But maybe you do need it all.

If possible, coordinate with your electrician BEFORE installing the cabinets. He/she will have information for you about where he/she wants to run his/her wires. (Ya like that gender PC stuff? )
Attached Thumbnails
Girl Cave Plans:  AC Vent question-gal-cave-1.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 04-03-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Old School

Are you aware that they make drawers that pivot open like this poorly drawn one?
Attached Thumbnails
Girl Cave Plans:  AC Vent question-gal-cave-2.jpg   Girl Cave Plans:  AC Vent question-gal-cave-3.jpg  

Last edited by Willie T; 04-03-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #6

Yes! Now I see Willie! Oh the pivot drawers and the susans! Yes, I need to look at these kinds of things when ordering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post

If possible, coordinate with your electrician BEFORE installing the cabinets. He/she will have information for you about where he/she wants to run his/her wires. (Ya like that gender PC stuff? )
You don't have to be PC with me Willie! The time you took showing me this, really was nice Willie. I will take your advice about asking the electrician before installing the cabinets. Thanks again.

Have you made cabinets like this before? Or a hobby room? I'm sure I'll have those moments when it is done, "Oh man....I should of done this....or did it this way...." moments. And you have given me some things to think about for sure!

If you think of something else, chime in!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Old School

There is nothing wrong with the configuration you have in mind. Just be aware that it has become convention to give quite a bit of extra side room (left and right of the chair) when the drawer units are set this way.

Usually no less than 18 inches past the ends of the diagonal straight typing edge, and sometimes as much as 24 inches.

Here is a commercial Haworth office corner. Steelcase is similar.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by downrightart View Post
Yes! Now I see Willie! Oh the pivot drawers and the susans! Yes, I need to look at these kinds of things when ordering.

You don't have to be PC with me Willie! The time you took showing me this, really was nice Willie. I will take your advice about asking the electrician before installing the cabinets. Thanks again.

Have you made cabinets like this before? Or a hobby room? I'm sure I'll have those moments when it is done, "Oh man....I should of done this....or did it this way...." moments. And you have given me some things to think about for sure!

If you think of something else, chime in!
For several years, I worked for E-Systems and Raytheon designing office layouts, among other things. I especially like the overhead 'flipper' units as shown on the left in the photo.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #9

Yes, I see what you mean. I'd probably be just sewing there or maybe cutting out little stuff (crafts stuff, etc), but where most of my working time will be spent is at the drafting table. I'm trying to design it now, the way I want it. It will convert from a cutting table (like in sewing centers), and the lid of it can come up at angles to draw. It will have drawers on either side and a slide out extended board. And have casters that will lock. And......................oh my....

I'd get into detail on that Willie...........but that is another project all together! And another THREAD that I'll end up putting in the wrong forum!

See? I have WAAAAY too many projects/ideas to even keep them all straight! But, I'll get'em done. You watch me! Heh.

Advertisement