Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to Marlin
Share |

Getting Rid Of An Old Oil Tank?

I have an old oil tank in my basement. It's been down there unused for about thirty years. It is just less than 1/3 of the way full of oil (I opened it to verify). I can get the oil out I suppose by cutting the copper line right after the valve and just draining it into containers. My town accepts used motor oil and I'm sure they would accept this as well so getting rid of it shouldn't be a problem.
What do I do with the tank at this point? The scrap yards require it to be clean before they will accept it and if I take a torch or even a sawzall to it I'm afraid it could ignite.

Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Crabby Bastard

there are companies that do this cleaning. look in the yellow pages under "tank cleaning". The dump my require you to present a "certificate of cleaning" by a professional service. check with your town, they might require your fill pipe to be blind flanged so fuel oil cant be accidently pumped into your basement

terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Crabby Bastard

your local oil company might (for a fee) come to your house and pump out the old oil and dispose of it for you. would keep you from having to deal with draining , transporting, and cleaning your car afterward
Old 03-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,....

List it on craigslist or something,.....

Fuel oil doesn't go Bad,... It gets Crappy.....
It can be Filtered,+ still be used.....
At the price of oil at over $3.00 a Gallon,.....
Somebody will Pay You to come take it away........
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_and_jj View Post
there are companies that do this cleaning. look in the yellow pages under "tank cleaning". The dump my require you to present a "certificate of cleaning" by a professional service. check with your town, they might require your fill pipe to be blind flanged so fuel oil cant be accidently pumped into your basement
I'd rather not pay the oil company a few hundred dollars to do it. The scrap yard I go to couldn't care less about certificates and what not. So long as they can visually see the tank is clean they'll take it.
As for the fill pipe I may completely remove it, if not I'll just cut is short and put a no hub cap on it. That will prevent any oil from being pumped. That actually happened around here recently. The oil company got the wrong house and pumped 250 gallons of oil into someones basement.
As for my car I have a pickup and plenty of containers I normally use for waste oil so it isn't a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,....

List it on craigslist or something,.....

At the price of oil at over $3.00 a Gallon,.....
Somebody will Pay You to come take it away........
I have no problem draining the oil, and would rather do it myself for two reasons.
1. The guy off Craigslist probably won't care if he breaks the valve and spills 60 gallons of oil. He would most likely just get in his car and leave me with a very smelly, expensive, and dangerous mess. I know I'm not going to do anything so foolish.
2. I have a lot of valuable tools in my basement and the less people who know they're there the better.

Perhaps once it's out I'll list it on Craigslist and see if I can get twenty bucks out of it instead of hauling it to the waste management facility. It's weird to think that the oil in that tank was probably about $0.75 a gallon.

Last edited by Marlin; 03-07-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 38

At least give it away to someone you know who still heats with oil.
Then you could use some kitty litter or oil absorb like the garages use to soak up the rest and take it to you local disposal center.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
It's weird to think that the oil in that tank was probably about $0.75 a gallon.
Ayuh,.....

Just like Money in the Bank,........
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
Crabby Bastard

[quote=Bondo;105323]Ayuh,....

[quote]

another reason to call the oil company, maybe they will take it for free.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #9

Since you want to do it yourself, all you need to do is follow the requests of the ones who will take the tank once it's emptied. Remove all the oil and cut the tank lengthwise around the perimeter. This will leave you with essentially and oil bathtub. The sawzall blade will not ignite the oil. You can drop a match into it and it won't ignite.
Now the fun part, scooping out all the sludge that's been there since the house was built. After thats done, wipe it done with mineral spirits to get the residue. The scrap yard should take it in this condition.
These tanks lose their structural integrity over time, so be carefull when you transport it out of the house. They can suddenly collapse. that's why it's important to get all the oil out of it before moving.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #10

I would get enough 30 or 50 galon barrels,,,put them in your pickup so you dont have to lift them,,,get a drill pump,or cheapie something pump and PUMP it back out the same hole it came in thru tubing or hose. THEN advertise on Craigs list,,,OR find a person who takes used oil. They will unload it or have a way to do that,,,give them the barrels,if you want. They WILL buy it from you in the barrel!!

Is there a door or way to get that tank out of there anyway?? If you can carry it out whole,put that on craigs list also!!Somebody will come and take it away,problem all gone. They do make a good shop stove with a door made in the end. This is FUEL OIL,,,NOT gas so it isnt all that flamable!! Take a coffee can with half inch in bottom,,, of it outside where safe and TRY to light it with a match!!

justdon is offline   Reply With Quote