Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

getting rid of mold in crawlspace

Noticed mold spores in crawl after hurricane Sandy, plan on doing myself, getting rid of mold, spray mold retardant, encapsulating crawlspace and installing dehumidifier.
For mold treatment I've been researching Foster 80-40 to kill mold and Foster 40-20 to keep away. As for encapsulation planning on using 20mil on floor 12 mil on walls. Dehumidifier still up in the air, getting alot of mixed signals on which is best. Sante Fe , oscar air, or Sani dry unit.

Any information suggestions would be GREATLY apprecisted

Chris McDonnell

Last edited by Gary in WA; 12-02-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: removed web link belongs below signature line.
linwoodchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Most pros use Tim Bor.
http://www.timborprofessional.com/

A 6 mil plastic will would just as good and cost a whole lot less. Just hole it down with some 16 insulation hangers bent in half.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #3

Well, that was a bigger job then expected, went with the 20 mil, crawlspace is accessed too much for the 6 mil put 12 mil on walls, anchored with plastic bolts, tape (2 kinds ) worked but anchors are a must, reinsulated went with a humid ex air system, instead of a dehumidifier and glad I did less operating money and I like the idea of air circulation vs just taking water out of airAnyway good luck if you decide to do, not hard a lot of hours on your hands and knees
Old 11-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Read the info in this link. You need to do more than just spray mold juice on it.

How to control Mold Part 1
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Read the info in this link. You need to do more than just spray mold juice on it.

How to control Mold Part 1
you must be aa contractor trolling for victims err I mean customers. said nothing about spraying " mold juice" and praying.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I'm not trolling for anybody. Do what you want. You came here looking for advice............... remember. I'm just telling you there is more to controlling mold than spraying some mold killer on it and walking away. Other than trying to steer you in the right direction, I could give a hoot whether you do it right or not. You're gonna live with the result, right or wrong.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
del schisler (11-28-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

In my old house I had some mold in basement and I sprayed with bleach several times and then I painted over it, never had a problem in 10 years. Don't know if this was right but I wasn't paying someone to do it. It was on concrete blocks.

tommyg44 is offline   Reply With Quote