DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   General DIY Discussions (
-   -   getting rid of mold in crawlspace (

linwoodchris 11-30-2012 03:21 PM

getting rid of mold in crawlspace
Noticed mold spores in crawl after hurricane Sandy, plan on doing myself, getting rid of mold, spray mold retardant, encapsulating crawlspace and installing dehumidifier.
For mold treatment I've been researching Foster 80-40 to kill mold and Foster 40-20 to keep away. As for encapsulation planning on using 20mil on floor 12 mil on walls. Dehumidifier still up in the air, getting alot of mixed signals on which is best. Sante Fe , oscar air, or Sani dry unit.

Any information suggestions would be GREATLY apprecisted

Chris McDonnell

joecaption 11-30-2012 04:34 PM

Most pros use Tim Bor.

A 6 mil plastic will would just as good and cost a whole lot less. Just hole it down with some 16 insulation hangers bent in half.

linwoodchris 11-25-2013 08:17 PM

Well, that was a bigger job then expected, went with the 20 mil, crawlspace is accessed too much for the 6 mil put 12 mil on walls, anchored with plastic bolts, tape (2 kinds ) worked but anchors are a must, reinsulated went with a humid ex air system, instead of a dehumidifier and glad I did less operating money and I like the idea of air circulation vs just taking water out of airAnyway good luck if you decide to do, not hard a lot of hours on your hands and knees

Maintenance 6 11-26-2013 03:33 PM

Read the info in this link. You need to do more than just spray mold juice on it.

linwoodchris 11-27-2013 03:38 PM


Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 (Post 1271872)
Read the info in this link. You need to do more than just spray mold juice on it.

you must be aa contractor trolling for victims err I mean customers. said nothing about spraying " mold juice" and praying.

Maintenance 6 11-27-2013 05:07 PM

I'm not trolling for anybody. Do what you want. You came here looking for advice............... remember. I'm just telling you there is more to controlling mold than spraying some mold killer on it and walking away. Other than trying to steer you in the right direction, I could give a hoot whether you do it right or not. You're gonna live with the result, right or wrong.

tommyg44 12-02-2013 02:09 PM

In my old house I had some mold in basement and I sprayed with bleach several times and then I painted over it, never had a problem in 10 years. Don't know if this was right but I wasn't paying someone to do it. It was on concrete blocks.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.