Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Getting Played by Contractor

I hired this guy to finish my basement he has been working occasionally since August (he said he has a lot of jobs), but is not even halfway finished. Yesterday he came and got all of his equipment and hasn't called me back. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I am considering contacting a lawyer to find out what can be done. If anyone has experienced this or can guide me to the next step on nipping this in the butt, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by rlrife; 10-28-2008 at 10:41 AM.
rlrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

How much have you paid him? Was there a timeline in the contract?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

He's almost all of it and he stated it would be two weeks and now he just keeps putting me off
rlrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
wilderstyle

Rewards Points: 75

Do you have his contractor license #? It may be on his business card or the contract if there was one. The contractor state license board would be your threat button. Check out his number through this web site. This is a typical deal. He takes new jobs to keep afloat and he is doing the same to all the other people to keep his money flowing. You have to be diplomatic to not piss him off and have him do damage. If you don't have a project end date, create one now! This is the lesson, in writing, dated, with signature and contractor license #. Next time ask for references and check the CSLB website first. It will show suspensions and complaints. I used to sell sunrooms and got projects away from bad rep contractors with this same info. Talk turkey to him. Set a new finish end date and/or ask for a refund until he finishes. Next time withhold some until final product and inspections are done.
wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

A lot depends on the type of person you hired. Did you hire a licensed/insured contractor? Did you sign a contract? Are there permits pulled for the renovation? Did you work out when the payments will be made and what percentages? If yes follow wilderstyles advice.

Did you hire some unlicensed guy off of craigs list? Paid half in advance? Find out where he parks his truck and slash the tires and forget about it. Chalk it up to experience. (Just kidding naturally) Not a whole lot you can do when you hire someone working outside of the law.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrife View Post
If anyone has experienced this or can guide me to the next step on nipping this in the butt, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
You need to find the guy and pin him down on a completion date as mentioned above. I wouldn't call I'd do it in person. Sometimes, and this might not be the case here, the squeeky wheel gets the contractor. Be understanding, be polite and don't threaten. If he blows you off then go the legal route. Let your atty do the talking.

I'd take this approach regardless of permits, license, etc. He's either legit or a bum. Either way, if he promises anything, get it written down and signed. Verbal means nothing to some people.

Where did you find this guy anyway?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrife View Post
He's almost all of it and he stated it would be two weeks and now he just keeps putting me off
You haven't stated anything about a written contract agreement, signatures, licensing, certifications, scope of work, written terms - regarding payment & work stage completions, etc....

If he's got all the money, then it looks like begging is going to be your only option....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote