Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

Getting Hard Water on Glass Off help please

We have a lot of dried hard water on our shower glass and I can not get it all off. So far I have tried Kaboom and CLR Kitchen and Bathroom Cleaner, its gets off some but not all.

We were told to put up Rain-X to prevent it but I need to get the dried hard water off first.

Please.....any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

TTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
the Musigician

you could polish it sparkle clean with some fine steel wool.
rain-x seems a good idea

DM

Old 02-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I used automotive polishing compound on my truck windshield. Took some elbow grease, but it's crystal clear now.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #4

Did you try spraying vinegar on it? Whatever you use, it's probably better to take the door off and lay it flat so the solution can soak-in for a little while. Protect your floor from overspray and drips.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #5

Just went through this exercise. I found nothing I could buy in a bottle or tube would cut through the hard water residue. What worked for me was using a wire wheel in a drill motor with 50/50 spic and span with water. Results were more than acceptable. Looks like new.
SeeDBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #6

That's good. Is the glass perfectly smooth, wavy, frosted? I had glass shower doors that were clear, but the surface was wavy. I tried everything to get that 'frosty' look off of it and never did find anything.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #7

in my case the glass was what's called a waterfall design and was frosty and opaque. That's how I got away with using the wire wheel.

Where the surface was smooth I used a single edged razor blade in a simple metal holder to scrape the crud off. This also worked well in the shower to remove the built up soap residue. It's a tedious job, but you'll find that the keen edge of the razor blade does an excellent job of getting under the build up and it actually rolls off.

I removed the shower doors and took them to the driveway where I could get aggressive with them and have adequate water to flush the crud away.

I used the razor blade on some of the outside windows on the house, too, with ok results, however the crud there was more oil based from auto exhaust than it was a calcium deposit from hard water on a continuous basis.

It does take time though. I was able to avoid having to replace the shower doors and hire a professional cleaner to make the showers spic and span.

Chuck

SeeDBee is offline   Reply With Quote