Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #1

Share |

Getting Creak/Squeak Out of Pine Bed Frame

Hi Guys,

Quick question on removing "creak" or "squeak" from a pine bed frame:

I have a bed frame being delivered which has to be assembled, but which squeaks a bit under vigorous activity and I'd like the creaking to stop.

Since I have to assemble it anyway, my question is whether or not there is anything I can add to the frame (whether there's a putty or a substance I can put in the screw holes before screwing it together) that would cut down on the squeak and creak and might also make it sturdier. It's pretty sturdy, so the primary concern is the squeak/creak factor.

Any ideas on how to reduce this on a pine frame?

Thanks,

Mud

mudrubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #2

I’ve heard of suggestions like:

1 - talcum powder wherever the wood meets wood

2 - plastic washers between the existing washer and the bed frame

3 - Wrap the nuts and bolts with sealant tape (I’m not even sure what sealant tape is) and spray the screws with oil, such as WD40

4 - Fill the grooves of the screws by running them across a bar of soap. Screw them back into the frame

I guess my question is which solution or which combination of solutions would work best in the specific case of a pine wood frame?? There are so many to choose from….

Thanks for any help….

Mud

mudrubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrubble View Post
Hi Guys,

Quick question on removing "creak" or "squeak" from a pine bed frame:

I have a bed frame being delivered which has to be assembled, but which squeaks a bit under vigorous activity and I'd like the creaking to stop.

Since I have to assemble it anyway, my question is whether or not there is anything I can add to the frame (whether there's a putty or a substance I can put in the screw holes before screwing it together) that would cut down on the squeak and creak and might also make it sturdier. It's pretty sturdy, so the primary concern is the squeak/creak factor.

Any ideas on how to reduce this on a pine frame?

Thanks,

Mud
In order to give you an accurate answer, we need to know that the "vigorous activity" is....

If it's 'vertical' activity then the issue might be the mattres....'horizontal' motion would then point to loose bolts in the frame.

Otherwise....just do what you said in your second post....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote