Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Yo Yo Ma!

Share |

Genie Excelerator GDO Issue

Installed one of these in my first house and it ran flawlessly the entire nine years I lived there. Moved into our new house in August and one of the first things I did was replace the slow garage door with another Genie Excelerator. Once you get used to the speed it is hard to go back to a slow door.

I am having a minor issue with this one, however.

The first time you run it or after a power failure, it initializes and runs at a slow speed. Totally normal. My problem is about 30% of the time when I go to open it, I will hear a distinct "click" and I know it is about to reinitialize and run slow. the door is in great shape, does not bind when opening it by hand and I keep it lubed.

Any suggestions? I've heard of others having this issue as well but no real solution has ever come about.

The garage door in my new house is an 18' insulated whereas my first house was a puny single non-insulated door. I'm wondering if the added weight is causing issues.

Just looking for any input someone may have.

Thanks!

--Mark
harrydunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #2

Mark,
larger door shouldn't make a difference as long as it has the proper tension on the springs. If you can run it up and down by hand with one hand, its fine. I used to install a lot of Genies, but not the accelerators. Strictly the promax 500's. If you're having an intermittent problem like you describe, I would suspect the circuit board. It controls everything. Doesn't take a lot to have a bad one. I stopped installing genies a couple of years ago. Last year they redesigned thier entire line making the current line obsolete. Check all your basics just to rule out anything small, eyes, up and down force, etc. If your unit is still under warranty you should be able to get parts for free for it.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Yo Yo Ma!

Thanks for the reply and sorry for it taking so long to get back with you. I've been skiing out west!

How much up-force is too much in this case? I've been tinkering with the up-force over the past few months to no avail.

Also, I wonder if power surges, etc. may be an issue? I've got quite a few things sucking power in the garage. Not enough to ever throw a breaker, however. Just thinking out loud. I know they will reset and act like this after a power "event."

Thanks,

Mark
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

Mark,
more upforce really won't hurt anything, but that doesn't sound like your problem. Still thinking circuit board. Did you try calling Genie's customer service?
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Yo Yo Ma!

Sent them an e-mail today with a copy of my receipt of purchase. Told them I can install any parts myself and that this is my second Excelerator. We'll see how it goes!

--Mark
Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Yo Yo Ma!

New board on its way. Are the replacement boards redesigned?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
Yo Yo Ma!

Thought I would give an update. The new board worked for about a month before the learn mode starting acting up again. At this point, I'm just sick of it and snipped the speed control resistor. I really miss the speed but it simply became too annoying.