A General Esimtate On How Much It Would Cost To Do All Of This? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A general esimtate on how much it would cost to do all of this?

Our house was built in 1974. It was in great shape when we first moved in, but now we have 3 dogs and over the years the carpet has just fallen to pieces as well as other things in our home

I've been wanting to do my own home improvement project but I just don't know where ot start and I don't even know if I'll have the money.

Here are the PROBLEMS with our house:
The carpet in the office is stained with pet stains and red mud from the high traffic coming through the back door every day. It would be much easier to install hardwood flooring in that room.

The wall paint is chipping all around the house.

The wallpaper in one of our bathrooms is peeling off.

Here are the things I want to do:
Strip the wallpaper in the upstairs bathroom and repaint everything.

Replace the carpet in the den with hardwood flooring.

Repaint the chipped walls in other rooms.

Now, my parents want to replace the cabinets and flooring in the kitchen but I'm not so much worrying about the kitchen now because it's a big project and I'd rather prepare for it later.

The main things I want to do are the hardwood floors and remodel the walls in the bathroom.

So with those two projects alone about how much would it cost me if I did it myself? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

gingerbread153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

As far as the flooring, you can figure the square footage then get an estimate based on the price of the flooring you plan on using. For flooring, I'm pretty partial to engineered flooring, either hardwood or laminate and a floating floor product.

For the painting, you'll need some stripper for the wall paper and probably some drywall compound to repair scuffs in the walls and to possibly re-texture. Check a gallon of paint and see how much it covers then calculate how much area you have to repaint. With that and the price per gallon, you can estimate the paint costs.

With the cabinets, consider if the configuration is OK and the cabinet boxes are OK, you can either repaint them or just get new doors. That is a heck of a lot less expensive then replacing the cabinets totally.

None of what you've outlined is difficult, just takes a bunch of sweat equity.

Good luck.

Advertisement

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

You really, really, really, need to get estimates based on "on-site" visits by experienced local contractors.

Listing these things, and asking for even a ballpark price, over the internet, .... is like asking us to guess your weight.

Every job has issues, details, factors, that will affect pricing in many different ways and on many different levels.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
You really, really, really, need to get estimates based on "on-site" visits by experienced local contractors.

Listing these things, and asking for even a ballpark price, over the internet, .... is like asking us to guess your weight.

Every job has issues, details, factors, that will affect pricing in many different ways and on many different levels.
She weighs 123 1/2 lbs. I can't help with the other stuff.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Sorry, there's no way to tell from here

You won't really know what your bathroom needs till you get into it
(could just be some primer and paint, could be stripping products, drywall repair or sheetrock replacement etc..)

And your floor would depend on what you find under the rug also, in addition to the huge variations in the actual flooring materials, and possible tool rentals and/or purchases

You can figure out your square footage of flooring, then visit your local flooring store and get some basic material cost estimates
Figure ease of install for a particular product as a big plus that will save you time and tools
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
She weighs 123 1/2 lbs. I can't help with the other stuff

No I don't... lol.
gingerbread153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

Instead of hard wood flooring you should look into laminate flooring. Its cheaper and looks just like hard wood. I had a room 26' x 14' in my own house that I put laminate flooring in, after buying the laminate and the underlayment the cost was just about 800$. I don't know how much they charge for hardwood floors but my father did hard wood around my house and he said the cost was about 5-7 grand. Just a suggestion.
UpComingBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Since you have a bunch of work you want to do, I'd suggest you start with the wall treatments. That way, you won't mess up a new floor with drywall compound or wall paper stripper. Just do a room at a time and chip away at it. Since you are learning, start with some of the least conspicuous areas. None of what you have mentioned is difficult and you'll gain valuable experience and save a ton of money doing it yourself.

The main reason I would recommend an engineered floating floor is that it is more stable and doesn't take many tools to lay, generally just a tape measure and circular saw.

I admire you for being willing to tackle the projects yourself. Remember, no one is born with all the knowledge they need, it's developed over time and with experience.

So, go for it!
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpComingBuilder View Post
Instead of hard wood flooring you should look into laminate flooring. Its cheaper and looks just like hard wood. I had a room 26' x 14' in my own house that I put laminate flooring in, after buying the laminate and the underlayment the cost was just about 800$. I don't know how much they charge for hardwood floors but my father did hard wood around my house and he said the cost was about 5-7 grand. Just a suggestion.
There are other differences in laminate and real hardwood, beyond costs. One factor to take into consideration is that real hardwood adds more value to a home, than laminate flooring. Additionally, real hardwood will outlast laminate. Laminate, if damaged, or worn-out, may require entire replacement, where-as, real hardwood can be re-finished.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbread153 View Post
...Here are the PROBLEMS with our house:
The carpet in the office is stained with pet stains and red mud from the high traffic coming through the back door every day. It would be much easier to install hardwood flooring in that room.
If you have a high traffic path, or area, I would strongly suggest that you consider tile, over hardwood. Hardwood will look great when initially installed, but in high traffic areas, it will start looking bad, in a relatively short time...due to damages; scratches, fading, scuffs, etc.

Advertisement