Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Gas water heater

Wondering if anyone can help me with this problem. My tenant states than when he showers he only gets about 10 mins of hot water. I also noticed that the water heater needs to be set on "c" for it to be hot. Mine water is hotter and it's set to "b" on the thermostat. They are all 40 gallon gas water heaters. Also he is the only one living in the apartment and using the hot water. I'm thinking the water heater might need replacing? Anyone have any thoughts on what is happening here.
Thanks

Rmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

Gas water heater

The heater is dying----There is a tube inside that puts the cold water down to the bottom of the tank--the hot water rises to the top --where the hot water leaves the tank--

That tube is rotted away---allowing the cold water to leave the tank before it is heated---That tube can be replaced--however,the repair costs a lot --sometimes the tube threads are so rusted that the tank leaks--

Best to get a new tank.

Here is one possible problem I see often enough to mention----If the tank is piped in backwards--

cold water going into the "HOT" side of the tank---you will get only a few minutes of hot water---

Feel the pipes--is the cold going into the "COLD" side of the tank?---If its piped wrong--switch the pipes and take a hot shower.---Mike---

Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Gas water heater

I would usually agree with the above, but first, what is the age of the heater. Less than 7 yrs, probably worth fixing. Older than 10, forget it. And has it ever been flushed, if no, consider new. The manufacture date is usually in the model or serial #.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Gas water heater

Just looked at the sticker and made in 2008.
Rmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,032

Gas water heater

That new, I would first confirm the problem myself, and then take a look at the manufacturer's website, to see what the warranty and warranty procedures are. I can't remember jack any more, but it seems to me that after the dip tube fiasco, or whatever it was, a few years back, most of the manufacturer's came out with some pretty decent warranties. It sure seems worth a shot, to me.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote