Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #1

Share |

Gas stove will only work when central heat is turned on

Our stove does not get gas flow unless we turn on the central heat. These are the only two appliances that use gas. The pilot light is fine. I've called the gas company and they claim it is a faulty stove top, but I don't understand the connection with the central heat. Any suggestions?

Shpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Call a plumber. How old is the stove? How is it piped from the meter to the the furnace, then the stove? You are welcome to post pictures of it. Also, who is your service provider for gas? You can contact the utility, and tell them that you have notice a sulfar/rotten egg smell around the meter, and would like to request one of their technicians to come and check it out. Once they get there, they will check out the whole system.

You just have to keep calling, until you get someone that has a brain where it should be, not where they sit in their chair. Post your location, due to there may be someone close to you here on this forum, that may be able to assist.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpike View Post
Our stove does not get gas flow unless we turn on the central heat. These are the only two appliances that use gas. The pilot light is fine. I've called the gas company and they claim it is a faulty stove top, but I don't understand the connection with the central heat. Any suggestions?
This makes no sense what so ever.
Post pictures of the gas pipes. There should be a main that comes in from outside and two branches off the main. One will go to the boiler /furnace, the other to the stove.
Is this a new situation?
How long have to lived there?
How did you figure out the heat needed to be on before you could operate the stove?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
I have gas!

This has got to be LP gas.
Is there some kind of regulator on the stove top that is being locked shut by too much pressure? Just a swag.
Can you light it with a match without the heating system on?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #5

We've lived here for 6 years. When the problem first appeared there
was a slight whistling sound in the stove. Once the burners were lit, the noise would fade out. We don't have the noise anymore. We figured out the heat bypass trick by accident. I don't even remember how. I'll try to crawl under the crawl space tomorrow and take photos of the pipes.
Shpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Is it propane or Natural Gas? When you post the photos, can you tell what size of piping? Also, you may want to check for crimped section or folded, which could cause the problem that you are having. That would mean you may have to spend a hour or so in the crawl.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote