Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Gas shutoff before it should have

Okay... I'm selling my house to a builder who will be tearing it down and building a new house for sale. The sale closed mid July and our purchase agreement gives me 30 days to vacate, which is Weds. of next week. Just yesterday I finally got an official closing date on the house I am moving to, that closing date is this Friday 8/9. (Should've been sooner, the FHA red tape involved is a seperate story)

I'm divorced now with 50/50 custody of our children, yesterday and today are my days with the kids (Weds. & Thurs. every week, we alternate weekends) So last night, I get home with the kids and start their bath water. Hmm... Not coming out very warm.

I go and look, the meter is gone!

So, I called the real estate agent of the builder and ask about it, he's surprised the utility came out so quick.

He said if I want to get a hotel, let him know and we'll work it out tomorrow. I stayed at the house last night, I've booked a hotel for 2 nights at $150/night - I got a jacuzzi room, I asked the builder to reimburse me for $125/night for 2 nights based on the regular room rate.

Strictly speaking I'm sure there are heavier consequences for him as landlord for shutting off utilities. The rent was paid at closing at $1/day for the full 30 days, and my utilities have been kept current... I'm sure it was an honest mistake, whether it was the utilitie's or tenant's mistake I wouldn't know unless I started making calls, and I'm not wanting to do that because I'd be satisfied if the agent agrees to my proposal and I wouldn't want to set anything else in motion...

Any thoughts?

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote