Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Jack of many trades

Share |

Gas Range

I am looking for someone that is abundantly familiar with repairs on a gas range, specifically switching one from propane to natural gas.

Any takers?:D
nicholasnettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:41 AM   #2

Gas Range

I would try my gas company first. Then you KNOW the quality etc. and you have somebody to talk to with any difficulties. If they cant or wont you know you probably shouldnt do it. Had water heater with same deal, wanted to go from gas to propane.. Said no way!!! They cant do that anymore without changing whole guts which is more costly than buying new. What an age we live in!!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
Jack of many trades

Gas Range

I have 1 burner and an oven that seems to work just fine. The range was originally made to be a gas range, but it was converted to take propane. I will see what I can come up with, maybe let you know how I did it (if I do it) for future reference.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #4

Gas Range

If they did it properly they put in different orifices. If they did it cheapo diy they took a electric drill to them and drilled them out Propane needs a bigger hole than natural gas. Dont ask me how much bigger tho, I wouldnt know!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Jack of many trades

Gas Range

I'm pretty sure they used the propane orafices and set the pressure regulator to take propane. As far as I have found out so far, I need to replace the orafices and set the regulator for gas instead of LP. Now, HOW to set that pressure regulator for gas seems to be the trick.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
Jack of many trades

Gas Range

**New Development**
At the botom of the range and behind the proiler pan is a pressure regulator. As I understand, LP and NG use different pressure settings on this regulator. The catch is that I can't really figure out how to adjust it. I did feel a switch behind it, and it feels adjustable to a degree, but I am scared of forcing it and breaking something.

So, Don ... or anyone, really....
I know I need to do 2 things. (1) replace the orafices (need smaller ones for NG) and (2) set the pressure regulator for NG which is now set for LP. I am pretty sure how to replace the orafices, but does anyone have any idea how to set the regulator?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:18 AM   #7

Gas Range

Hi,

Something here may help....

http://www.applianceaid.com/gas_range_convertion.html

jeff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JRAppliance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote