Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Share |
Default

Gas line in my garage?


The use of metal rods for dowsing are sometimes used!

I have often used this method of locating buried communications cables.

Its my belief that the earths magnetic field is distorted by buried metal and water mass's. By holding the rods very lightly, they pull together at the tips when the earths magnetic field becomes concentrated, much like the wind blowing between two large buildings!
Attached Thumbnails
Gas line in my garage?-dowsing.jpg  

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Gas line in my garage?


wow first time I heard about that.
Fraser20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 326
Default

Gas line in my garage?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser20 View Post
wow first time I heard about that.
My girlfriend swears they don't work, but I'm with GBR. I think it's a water line.
jpearson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Default

Gas line in my garage?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jpearson311 View Post
My girlfriend swears they don't work, but I'm with GBR. I think it's a water line.
Well, I never detected any spirits with them, if thats what your girl-friend means!

However, it was my job to locate under-ground cables for my employer!
I used electronic equipment for this purpose, but always double checked it with the dousing rods!
The electronic equipment, allows you to hear the various magnetic radiation that exists all about us and its my opinion that its these same magnetic fields that cause the rods to pull together!
Magnetic lines behave much like rubber bands that are stretched. They want to constrict and they want to follow the path of least resistance. So, as the lines run through the rods, they exert a pull on the rod ends!

Thats my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 326
Default

Gas line in my garage?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Well, I never detected any spirits with them, if thats what your girl-friend means!

However, it was my job to locate under-ground cables for my employer!
I used electronic equipment for this purpose, but always double checked it with the dousing rods!
The electronic equipment, allows you to hear the various magnetic radiation that exists all about us and its my opinion that its these same magnetic fields that cause the rods to pull together!
Magnetic lines behave much like rubber bands that are stretched. They want to constrict and they want to follow the path of least resistance. So, as the lines run through the rods, they exert a pull on the rod ends!

Thats my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
Funny reply Wildie. I appreciate your help!

Jesse
jpearson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #21
Household Handyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,261
Default

Gas line in my garage?


Well, I've tried, more than once, to locate a known PVC water line with water in it, and the electrical line to my shop (direct burial) with dousing rods. I put them in, I know where they are. I'm not sure I even found the outer wall of my shop with these. That's just me. Some years back, I was working construction on an addition to a manufacturing facility. It seems everyone associated with the plant just knew there had been a new run of Natural Gas in this area within the last few years, but this had not been added to the plants blueprints, nor the City's. One of the trackhoe operators on site went to the shop, got two pieces of filler rod for welding and made him some dousing rods. He located the 2" pipe within about 15 minutes. He carefully dug down with his bucket until he scraped the pipe---NO marker tape. The plant Engineer bought him a case of beer. Now--IF I could just find my glasses. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 326
Default

Gas line in my garage?


What do you guys think the smaller pipe is in the picture? The one closest to the ground and bent to the left?

Jesse
jpearson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Default

Gas line in my garage?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jpearson311 View Post
What do you guys think the smaller pipe is in the picture? The one closest to the ground and bent to the left?

Jesse
I think that its a gas line! Notice that the galvanized pipe hasn't rusted, whereas the black pipe has. If it were a water line it would have been galvanized also!
It has half of a pipe union on the end that looks like it connected to a stove or a water heater!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 326
Default

Gas line in my garage?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I think that its a gas line! Notice that the galvanized pipe hasn't rusted, whereas the black pipe has. If it were a water line it would have been galvanized also!
It has half of a pipe union on the end that looks like it connected to a stove or a water heater!
But it's not capped. Should I be worried about that?
jpearson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Default

Gas line in my garage?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jpearson311 View Post
But it's not capped. Should I be worried about that?
It obviously is disconnected, or at least shut off, so I can't imagine that its a problem!
It must have been connected to the meter at one time, and if you examine the area around the meter, you may or may not find the other end of it!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
House and detached garage need new roofs looking for tips and advice jimtmcdaniels Roofing/Siding 3 11-06-2009 09:07 AM
Garage Wiring issues jimmyfloyd Electrical 20 06-08-2009 02:57 PM
sewer line Master Brian Plumbing 3 05-25-2009 12:53 AM
Water supply line replacement bamaknox Plumbing 2 01-08-2009 08:51 AM
Garage ceiling and attic storage DIY KEN Building & Construction 7 01-06-2009 04:57 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.