Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #1

Share |

Gas line in my garage?

Hi all. My house was built in 1905 and the auditor's website says my garage was built in 1940. Right inside the man door of my garage, to the right, there is electrical conduit coming out of the floor and also what looks like a capped gas line. Both are about 18-24" tall. Why would there be a gas line in my garage? That is if it even is a gas line. Thanks!

JP

jpearson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Gas line in my garage?

The most likely use for a gas line in a garage is to supply a furnace or heater. Can't really think of many other reasons to have the gas line out there?

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #3

Gas line in my garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
The most likely use for a gas line in a garage is to supply a furnace or heater. Can't really think of many other reasons to have the gas line out there?
Yeah, maybe you're right. It wouldn't supply a torch or anything would it? Would it be safe to cut it off at the floor surface and cover the hole with patch cement?

JP
Old 02-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Jack of all - master none

Gas line in my garage?

I don't know of any torches that use natural gas (most are oxygen-acetylene), but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't go cutting it off if you don't know if there's anything in it. If there is still gas flowing to it, you can't just cut it and burry it in concrete - that's not a good seal. You'll need to cap the pipe again, or disconnect it from the source. Most gas lines have an on/off valve near the end, but this is an old house we're talking about, so who knows.

Also, in older buildings, sometimes screw-pipe (real name?) was used for water. I think you're going to have to trace the pipe back to its source and see what it connects to.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #5

Gas line in my garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
I don't know of any torches that use natural gas (most are oxygen-acetylene), but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't go cutting it off if you don't know if there's anything in it. If there is still gas flowing to it, you can't just cut it and burry it in concrete - that's not a good seal. You'll need to cap the pipe again, or disconnect it from the source. Most gas lines have an on/off valve near the end, but this is an old house we're talking about, so who knows.

Also, in older buildings, sometimes screw-pipe (real name?) was used for water. I think you're going to have to trace the pipe back to its source and see what it connects to.
Awesome. Thanks Hyunelan!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Gas line in my garage?

"It wouldn't supply a torch or anything would it?"
I know a few people who call a flashlight, or an outside gas fired lamp, a "torch". Maybe this is what "311" was referring to. Now , "311"---you stated that it looks like a capped gas line. Is the piping in question look to be black pipe or galvanized pipe? You may have to scrape a small place on the side to tell. IMO--IF it appears to be galvanized piping, then I would think that it would be for water. But IF the piping appears to be black pipe, I would think that it is indeed an older gas line. That's my opinion on this from the post. As stated--the best resource would be to try and trace the pipe. Have you checked with your local municipality to see IF they might have any records on municipal water and/or gas being ran to your home? David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #7

Gas line in my garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"It wouldn't supply a torch or anything would it?"
I know a few people who call a flashlight, or an outside gas fired lamp, a "torch". Maybe this is what "311" was referring to. Now , "311"---you stated that it looks like a capped gas line. Is the piping in question look to be black pipe or galvanized pipe? You may have to scrape a small place on the side to tell. IMO--IF it appears to be galvanized piping, then I would think that it would be for water. But IF the piping appears to be black pipe, I would think that it is indeed an older gas line. That's my opinion on this from the post. As stated--the best resource would be to try and trace the pipe. Have you checked with your local municipality to see IF they might have any records on municipal water and/or gas being ran to your home? David
Good response there Thurman. It definitely is not a black pipe and I haven't checked with any local municipality about it. Perhaps I should. Any idea on how I could trace the pipe? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Gas line in my garage?

"Right inside the man door of my garage, to the right"
"Any idea on how I could trace the pipe?"
YES, and simple, sort of. I have a 3/8" diameter rod with a "T" handle on one end I use for this--I realize everyone does not. Improvise. Being as the pipe is near the entrance to the garage, would it happen to also be at an exterior wall? Find some type metal rod to use to penetrate the soil, twisting it as you go down. IF you hit metal or glass it will squeak. I also find old bottles this way. Once you locate a "squeak', dig carefully to see what you have. I've had to find water lines to homes that had a 90 degree fitting just outside the main wall. Good Luck, David
Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #9

Gas line in my garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"Right inside the man door of my garage, to the right"
"Any idea on how I could trace the pipe?"
YES, and simple, sort of. I have a 3/8" diameter rod with a "T" handle on one end I use for this--I realize everyone does not. Improvise. Being as the pipe is near the entrance to the garage, would it happen to also be at an exterior wall? Find some type metal rod to use to penetrate the soil, twisting it as you go down. IF you hit metal or glass it will squeak. I also find old bottles this way. Once you locate a "squeak', dig carefully to see what you have. I've had to find water lines to homes that had a 90 degree fitting just outside the main wall. Good Luck, David
Thanks David. The line is right inside the man door on your right. It's real close to the wall (see attached pics). There is also electrical conduit next to it and another line that's shorter and bent over, but I don't know what this one is. I'm assuming there are lines for it right on the other side of the wall, outside, underground.
Attached Thumbnails
Gas line in my garage?-gas_line1.jpg   Gas line in my garage?-gas_line2.jpg  
Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #10

Gas line in my garage?

Appear to be a couple of galvanized water supply lines. Find the city/county shut off at your property line, remove the lid, have a helper ready to shut it off soon after you remove the threaded plug in the garage.

Be safe, Gary
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #11

Gas line in my garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Appear to be a couple of galvanized water supply lines. Find the city/county shut off at your property line, remove the lid, have a helper ready to shut it off soon after you remove the threaded plug in the garage.

Be safe, Gary
Hm, interesting. I have noticed that there are 2 water line caps in front of my garage. Does this make sense? What is underneath the cap/lid that would allow me to turn it off? A regular spicket type knob?

JP
Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #12

Gas line in my garage?

I'm wondering if there might be an electrical device that can be used to see if a low voltage can be sent down the pipe to see if it traces to the water system or the gas system???

Or phone the dial-before-you-dig people.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #13

Gas line in my garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
I'm wondering if there might be an electrical device that can be used to see if a low voltage can be sent down the pipe to see if it traces to the water system or the gas system???

Or phone the dial-before-you-dig people.
Yeah maybe you're right. If it's water or gas the city would probably know right?

JP
Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
Household Handyman

Gas line in my garage?

Bing! jl hit on something there: Call the underground utility locators and have them mark the location of underground "anything's" in this area. In my area they are free, well-paid for via utility bills. Tell them you are considering an addition or something in this area. I'm not sure they can distinguish the difference between a gas or water pipe, but they can find them easy enough. David
Old 02-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #15

Gas line in my garage?

It appears to be lines for hot and cold water.
Usually lines that are run to out-buildings will take a direct route to the main building!
You should check inside your house to see if there is any sign of these pipes entering inside.
Once when I needed to know where a sewer line ran under a basement floor, I rented a metal detector from the building center and was able to figure out where it ran to.
There is away of using a pair of bent copper wires to find buried objects. Its a form of 'witching' as is used for finding water!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote