Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

Share |

Gas grill propane tank

I always used a charcoal grill and now I finally switched to a gas grill. I also bought a propane tank. Where is the best place to have it filled?

Anything else I should know, precautions about using a gas grill and propane tank?

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #2

Gas grill propane tank

I always fill mine at the closest outlet to my house. In fact you will see more tank exchange places than actual fill up centres. You just swap it out.

When connecting, make sure your fittings are hand tightened. Some say do a soapy water test on the hose and fittings. Little bubbles will form if there is a leak.

When starting your grill...lid up...if you don't have a push button spark, always flame before fuel

Last edited by creeper; 05-20-2012 at 07:59 AM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Custom User Title

Gas grill propane tank

I get mine filled at a local hardware store. Places like Ace Hardware or TrueValue. Most other places will just swap tanks.
no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
DIY Enthusiast

Gas grill propane tank

Most gas stations have the exchange service.
Some even fill them.
It will cost you around 45 dollars for the initial tank purchase with gas then it's around 18 dollars for refills/ exchanges.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

Gas grill propane tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2
Most gas stations have the exchange service.
Some even fill them.
It will cost you around 45 dollars for the initial tank purchase with gas then it's around 18 dollars for refills/ exchanges.
I bought the tank at Sears so I just have to have someone fill it.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
DIY Enthusiast

Gas grill propane tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1

I bought the tank at Sears so I just have to have someone fill it.
If you paid over $25 for the tank take it back.
Go to HD,you can get a new tank that's full of gas for $45.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #7

Gas grill propane tank

Quote:

It works out the same. $18-$20 to fill mine up at Ace.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #8

Gas grill propane tank

I just get mine filled at a local place that does large tank rentals (search for your city + propane). Some RV service stations will fill them as well. I didn't want to buy a brand new tank and exchange it for an old one. My fill-station tanks always seem to last longer than my father-in-law's exchanged ones. I should weigh it some time to see if there really is a difference. It does cost a little more to get it filled than to do the exchange thing.

Always turn off the gas at the tank (not just the burners) when you're done.

If you have NG/Propane heat you can just get a tap off of your house supply installed for the grill. Can be cheaper and easier long-term, especially if you're on a pipeline.

I keep two tanks on hand for when one runs out. Sucks to be in the middle of smoking some ribs or a boston butt and run out of gas!

I will say, gas is convenient, but it doesn't beat the flavor of charcoal. We still pull out our charcoal grill when we have time to mess with it.
horseonthefly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to horseonthefly For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (05-29-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #9

Gas grill propane tank

Quote:

Can HD fill them up?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #10

Gas grill propane tank

Big box stores like Home Depot and walmart have exchange services. You don't have to buy a tank, you just rent it and when it is done you take it back, exchange it and get a full one for whatever the filling fee is. They do not fill them at the store, instead they have a company such as Blue rhino do the service on them. If you own a tank like I do you can get them filled at a local welding supply house or a RV service center.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #11

Gas grill propane tank

Other than cleaning the cast iron grates, grease tray and grease pan...do I clean the heat diffusers?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Gas grill propane tank

I just do a tank swap. Menard's uses 24/7 kiosk type tank swap units, that you either swipe your credit card, or insert cash. I usually check prices before I swap, since some places are higher than others. Plus side is, you get a tank that has been maintained & pressure tested, vs. having a tank that you could own for 5-10 years, and some day, it goes boom.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Gas grill propane tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
Other than cleaning the cast iron grates, grease tray and grease pan...do I clean the heat diffusers?
Run it for about five minutes, after removing any product from it, so that the grease ashes, then just brush either with a wire brush, or a grill cleaning stone. Every month if you wish, if you heavily use it, tear it down, and use oven cleaner to clean the interior and grates, then scrub and rinse, then put back together.

Grills are not that hard to maintain than a Charcoal grill, other than about every 18 to 24 months, you may have to replace the burners if they are the cheap kind.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #14

Gas grill propane tank

I found out that I have porcelain coated cast iron grates actually. From what I understand I can't use any type of brush other than soaking a towel in hot water and dish soap and rubbing it over a 2x4.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #15

Gas grill propane tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
I found out that I have porcelain coated cast iron grates actually. From what I understand I can't use any type of brush other than soaking a towel in hot water and dish soap and rubbing it over a 2x4.
Then there is reality!
No way in hell I'm waiting for the grill to cool and then rely on a towel and dishwater. That porcelain coating is gonna eventually fail even if never actually used.

Last edited by dogris; 05-19-2012 at 01:38 AM.
dogris is offline   Reply With Quote