Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #1

Share |

gas fireplace turn off after 10 min

Hello,

Could someone help me about this issue? The ignite works fine and the flame is fine, but it works for 10 min and then turned of with "ta ta". When I turned it on the second time, it is off after 1 min.

Thanks in advance

Ray

8221129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #2

I think they have thermal protection somewhere. Could be you have a problem, or something could just be out of alignment.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #3

but how can i troubleshooting and solve this problem?
Thanks
8221129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #4

I believe that at least some of them, if not all, also have a CO safety switch. I would almost bet that the manual, which you should be able to obtain from the manufacturer's website if you don't have the original, contains a trouble shooting guide.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #5

I am assuming a standing pilot. You might try to loosen and tighten the nut that goes in the control valve. Probably will not make any diference. Then get another pilot and install it. Use NO pipe dope on the thermocouple. Adjust the pilot to where the flame is on the last 3/4 " of the thermocouple. The flame should impinge on the themorcouple, but the thermocouple should not be blue, orange or red is OK. Do not kink the thin copper tube.

If that does not fix the problem, The control unit may be bad.

Shut off the gas valve before doing any work, know where the main gas valve is. (on the meter) If you are not confident in your ability to work with something that can blow your house and mayby your neighbors house into small pieces, hire an experienced gas repair man. Make sure you see any licenses required and a copy of his current liability insurance.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote