Gas Fireplace Smells Like Kerosene ? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Gas fireplace smells like kerosene ?

For some reason my fireplace smells like kerosene. I'm painting, but not really near the fireplace, and the smell doesn't seem to be near the paint.

Any idea why I'd be smelling kerosene all of a sudden? Only thing I can figure is maybe the paint is giving off vapors that don't smell until they hit the fire?

I shut off the fireplace, but it's still really weird.

Advertisement

tibberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

That happens a lot when I'm using oil based poly---the oven will do it too.

Makes you realize how much nasty stuff we are breathing---

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hopefully your are drafting even a gas fireplace?

Got a small glass? Just a reminder lesson coming. Put an inch of water and inch of salad oil in it. I hope you see what I always do. Oil is on top right? It is lighter than the water?

Same with the atomized vapors from either. The draft from the fireplace is catching those from the oil paint first, faster and before water vapors in the room. And it is combusting them. The result is the odor you smell.

Has to happen this way.

If it really bothers you. Close the damper. Keep the fireplace off until you are done. If it has a pilot light, kill that too.

Need a lava lamp by the way? This is where the originals came from and one company still makes them. Take about really cool use of floating oils in heavier solids. Of course I own hundreds.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote