gas fireplace question
I have a new ( to me home ) that has a gas fire place.
I'm not sure that it has been installed properly or operates
like it should....
I've been told that this is more for show than heat. There is no fan.
It's completely glass enclosed up front.
It has those fake logs / embers and you turn it on via electric wall
switch. It has a gas pilot light that is on all the time.. you turn on
the electric wall switch and that turns the gas on and off. It's
direct vented out the back through the wall. It's 'built in', off
the floor a foot or so and has a white, painted wood mantel and
The has has not been lived in a lot in it's 5 year history. I'm not
sure how much the fireplace has been used.
I'm wondering if it's working correctly because I ran it for an hour
or so and it got pretty hot.... a lot hotter than 'just for show'. The
wood mantle was almost too hot to touch comfortably.... I turned
off the fireplace and shut off the pilot and let it cool back down.
How do I know if it's been installed properly or not... how hot should
the surrounding wood mantle get?
Thanks - jack
It sounds like normal operation for a radiant fireplace. They get hot.
Some recommend periodic inspection (mostly the guys doing the inspections). It does sound normal but if you are concerned have someone from a gas fireplace installer/shop come out and take a look and clean it while they are there. You can look at the outside ca, if its smoky looking then its been use a lot in those 5 years.
Find out the brand and model number. Often this can be found by removing a panel at the lower front area of the unit.
Once you find that information, look up and contact the manufacturer or do your own online research on the unit number. If you end up calling the manufacturer, ask to speak to someone in their technical department....
The ones I've used or have come in contact with - no pun intended - do get pretty hot. But it's best that you do a little research to verify that your fireplace's operating temperature is within manufacturer's specs.
Sounds like it's operating normally, but I'm less sure about that mantel. Wood that's too hot to touch is probably not in compliance with the required clearances for that fireplace. I'd find the model, and check the manufacturer's clearnances.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.|
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.