Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

Gas fireplace problem

My gas fire place goes out after burning anywhere from 15 minutes to 4+ hours. The thermalcouple was replaced recently (Dec. 17, 2009) and I have had the service technician back out twice since. On his last visit he suggested that if the fire continues to go out after his latest adjustment, he would need to change out the gas valve. He claims that it could not be a faulty thermalcouple because if it was you could not relight the pilot. I would appreciate other thoughts on the problem before going to more expense.

Thanks

Best wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #2

Gas fireplace problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best wife View Post
My gas fire place goes out after burning anywhere from 15 minutes to 4+ hours. The thermocouple was replaced recently (Dec. 17, 2009) and I have had the service technician back out twice since. On his last visit he suggested that if the fire continues to go out after his latest adjustment, he would need to change out the gas valve. He claims that it could not be a faulty thermocouple because if it was you could not relight the pilot. I would appreciate other thoughts on the problem before going to more expense.

Thanks
Some gas heater thermocouples have to be adjusted. I know this from buying a new heater that was not adjusted correctly. On my particular heater, the gap between the pilot and the thermocouple was 1/4". I was instructed by the manufacturer on how to do this.
I am not suggesting that you adjust yours, just stating what I experienced.

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Gas fireplace problem

maybe your OD sensor is bad.
have you sealed or made other improvements to your home in the past 12 months.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #4

Gas fireplace problem

It could be many different things. Thermocouples (TC) can operate intermittently when defective, but I doubt that is the problem. It could be the gas valve, but I doubt that as well. Could be safety sensors, bad switch, wiring issues or many other things. It sounds like the first thing you need is a different service tech that knows what he is doing. We could use the make and model number of your gas fireplace and pics would help too.
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #5

Gas fireplace problem

I agree Rob. A new service tech would go a long way in finding it. About 85 to 90% of the time with theses type calls, I find bad connections somewhere. I have yet to have a T/C operate hear and there. A model number and manafacturer would help though.
ausblake is offline   Reply With Quote