DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Gas can leaks gas (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/gas-can-leaks-gas-137388/)

dinosaur1 03-17-2012 11:11 PM

Gas can leaks gas
 
I have one of those no-spill 5 gallon red gas can containers in my garage. Whenever it gets warm gas tends to leak out of the black plastic cap. I don't understand....?

I tried loosening the cap up to let some air out, but that doesn't seem to help.

rusty baker 03-18-2012 12:57 AM

Gas expands when it gets hot.

jklingel 03-18-2012 01:24 AM

lower the level of gas in the can. when it expands, it needs to be below ANY opening.

dinosaur1 03-18-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jklingel
lower the level of gas in the can. when it expands, it needs to be below ANY opening.

It's on the floor currently.

ddawg16 03-18-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jklingel (Post 879893)
lower the level of gas in the can. when it expands, it needs to be below ANY opening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur1 (Post 879902)
It's on the floor currently.

He means....don't fill it up so full....

dinosaur1 03-18-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty baker
Gas expands when it gets hot.

What's the best way to avoid it spilling in my case?

bbo 03-18-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur1 (Post 879911)
What's the best way to avoid it spilling in my case?


to avoid, simply do not fill so full.

if you notice, when empty and filling, five gallons does not bring it up to the level of the cap.

the manufacturer has allowed fr the expansion by giving extra rom in the can for expansion. I suspect when you fill it, there are more than five gallons in the can.

dinosaur1 03-18-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbo

to avoid, simply do not fill so full.

if you notice, when empty and filling, five gallons does not bring it up to the level of the cap.

the manufacturer has allowed fr the expansion by giving extra rom in the can for expansion. I suspect when you fill it, there are more than five gallons in the can.

I used it a few times so there is less than 5 gallons inside.

Bondo 03-18-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur1 (Post 879931)
I used it a few times so there is less than 5 gallons inside.

Ayuh,... Whatever,... Put only 4 gallons in it then....

Or,...
Throw the can away, 'n buy a Better 1, that don't leak, 'n don't over-fill it...

slickracer 03-18-2012 08:49 AM

I'm got tires of the piece of crap plastic cans and purchased 2 5 gallon steel Eagle gas cans. A local hardward store had them on sale for $34.99. Not cheap but at least they don't leak and they're American made.

slickracer 03-18-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondo (Post 879933)
Ayuh,... Whatever,... Put only 4 gallons in it then....

Or,...
Throw the can away, 'n buy a Better 1, that don't leak, 'n don't over-fill it...

That Moxie logo is tight. It's my favorite beverage.

rusty baker 03-18-2012 10:51 AM

I assume this thread is a joke and we have all been pranked. :censored:

Jim F 03-18-2012 11:24 AM

I wonder if the gas is being forced up through the no spill vent tube or even the retracted fill spout in which case it would not matter how full it is if its being forced up from the bottom with heat expansion. I say replace the can.

dinosaur1 03-18-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim F
I wonder if the gas is being forced up through the no spill vent tube or even the retracted fill spout in which case it would not matter how full it is if its being forced up from the bottom with heat expansion. I say replace the can.

It's coming out from the black cap. Should I get a metal one?

Jim F 03-18-2012 07:12 PM

Is this what you have?

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10102.html

It has been recalled which means you should get a refund.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.