Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Ventilation Intake Vents

I am working on my attached garage and will ultimately be closing up the now open 2x4 walls. Ventilation includes 2 "suicide" vents just above the sill on the wage opposite the garage door and a turbine near the ridge.

I'd like to fancy up those vents. They are rectangle wire mesh. I'd like to put in a louvered vent with ducting that is somewhat nicely finished on the inside after I get the rock up.

I've found plenty of louvers, but what can I use for duct to get the air into the garage and not the inside of the closed wall?

Thanks!

builditbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #2

I'm confused.
#1, Need to go back and add your location to your profile for better answers.
Just go to quick links to edit.
#2, No clue what a suicide vent is.
#3, By code there was supposed to be 5/8 fire rock sheet rock on any wall and all the way to the rafters to separate the garage and main house.
#4, No clue what you mean by what you mean by the "wage".
There should have been soffit vents and a ridge vent, that's all the venting you would need.
Got a picture of this garage?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #3

Those vents were an anti-carbon monoxide requirement in the 1980's by FHA to exhaust (high vents on opposite wall) and low- intakes, as you have. They may not be required anymore... check with local AHJ. To keep them buy/install some rectangular sheet metal for a box through the wall with insulation around (though that alone is counter-productive...) :-)

Gary