Garage Type And Location - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Young Bachelor

Rewards Points: 29

Garage Type and Location

I wanted a 'General' area to post this, it's not a repair it would be a construction.

I was wanting some insight from wiser folks than myself.

Given a situation where you are trying to set up the land plot, deciding where to place what buildings and utilities, such as the house, garage/carport, water well, and septic tank and field. The home faces the road, to the West. The lot is roughly 220' east and south, while only 180' north and west. Code here calls for the water well to be 50' from the tank and field. Garage options are Attached, detached, or simply a carport. The house would be no larger than 34x34, so it's pretty versatile, while garage dimensions would be 18' x 24-26' if attached it would be most conveniently located on the north end of the house. However, adding entry to the house would screw up the floor plan.

What benefits are there to attaching the garage, or detaching it to the home. I understand it would have more climate control and offer more space, but if space is not a worry is it worth uglying up the house?

Advertisement

CTSNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Garage Type and Location

Attaching it to the house, means you do not have to go through the rain, snow, high winds to unload groceries or shopping from the vehicle, when going to the house. Plus easier when you entertain, so that you do not have to walk a large distance when going from garage to house.

Detached, means that you will be able to have a larger work space, or if you keep flammable products, such as stains, fuels, work on small motor equipment all the time, or do wood working, then that would be the best choice.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Young Bachelor

Garage Type and Location

Well, being a landscape fanatic and eager to learn woodworking from my grandfather, along with other various DIY stuff I would definitely be having the garage for those projects. I wouldn't mind mounting an infrared heater and window air later on in life, when I 'need' those luxuries (haha)

I understand how nice it would be to haul groceries in the winter, but the one that would care most is a wife, and if I happen to find me one of those I'd probably find some kids too that do the heavy lifting. After they are gone, there are not a lot of groceries for just two people, let alone a bachelor. I could place the detached garage within a reasonable distance of the house (Say 20-25 feet) if I am concerned about the weather.

Thank you for your response, if you have more to say please comment.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

Garage Type and Location

I have a detached garage. I need to go out in the weather from my car to work, so it doesn't bother me to do the same from my home to garage. I can make all the noise I want as well. It's also much easier to expand the garage. Just remember, you'll never say "darn, I built this garage TOO BIG".
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,318

Garage Type and Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSNicholas View Post
Garage options are Attached, detached, or simply a carport.
I was wanting some insight from wiser folks than myself.
Don't limit yourself to one or the other.
A carport at the side of the house for the day to day in and out.
A detached garage at the back of the lot for the rest.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Young Bachelor

Garage Type and Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazapple View Post
I have a detached garage. I need to go out in the weather from my car to work, so it doesn't bother me to do the same from my home to garage. I can make all the noise I want as well. It's also much easier to expand the garage. Just remember, you'll never say "darn, I built this garage TOO BIG".
Haha! Very true about the weather and noise. And no, never heard of a garage too big. Aside from the women saying it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Don't limit yourself to one or the other.
A carport at the side of the house for the day to day in and out.
A detached garage at the back of the lot for the rest.
I considered this. And still may consider it. Parking would be handy in the front, but a carport itself would not look very nice. However the idea of a awning/lean-to may be more appealing on the side of the house, open to three sides. Playing with ideas.

I could position a detached garage in the back part of the lot, and have the leach field run east (behind the house) but south of the garage. This would make the house nearly centered on the lot, garage 25' north-east of the house, and the lateral lines going directly east from the house (after the septic tank) Though this would really cram the back area for finding a place for the well.

I did not mention there is already a stock well on the front of the lot, I would like to stay a way away from it so there are no water sucking/hogging issues.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 740

Garage Type and Location

Three biggest mistakes I see people make is not building the garage with stem walls. With stem walls there's no way to just use a hose to clean it out, the siding ends up to close to the ground, water can get in under the walls.
#2, Not making it big enough.
#3, and not supplying it with enough electrical power. A whole lot cheaper to run a larger service then to have to do it all over again.
If cost is a factor building it attached should be cheaper. One less wall to build, shorter wiring runs.
concretemasonry (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Young Bachelor

Garage Type and Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Three biggest mistakes I see people make is not building the garage with stem walls. With stem walls there's no way to just use a hose to clean it out, the siding ends up to close to the ground, water can get in under the walls.
#2, Not making it big enough.
#3, and not supplying it with enough electrical power. A whole lot cheaper to run a larger service then to have to do it all over again.
If cost is a factor building it attached should be cheaper. One less wall to build, shorter wiring runs.
If the garage were detached, I was planning on putting the footings in, and blocking the foundation to achieve a stem wall feature. Then I would have some gravel in for the floor, and pour it later on. I assume there is nothing wrong with pouring the floor after the garage is built? This would allow me to save money, and no benches or that sort would be put in until later with a solid floor. The floor would also slope outwards a bit, to allow easy drainage from snow on vehicles and washing things.

#2 I assume 18' wide would allow 10' door and 4' sides, to allow benches or shelves without getting in the way of a vehicle. And then 24' to 26' deep to allow a full vehicle, side door, and permanent woodworking tools to be at the front where they do not get wet and do not need to be moved when hosing the place.

#3 I do not know what sort of electrical I would use yet, but I do plan on having my own breaker panel with decent output. Likely never welding, but maybe enough just in case? At least enough for the radio, A/C, Fan, Drill Press, and maybe even a smaller sander running simultaneously.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 740

Garage Type and Location

I try to run nothing less then 60 amp.
All my outlets on the walls I run at just above bench to height every 6'. Always 20 amp. GFI. Where I think the bench will be I install double outlets.
I install at least 6' outlet on the ceiling for plug in 4' fluorescent lights, and an extra one over the bench area.
One dedicated 20 amp. circuit near a window for the A/C.
Two in the ceiling for the door openers. (if there's two doors).
A minimum of two outside outlets.
I keep my mowers out behind the garage and it's a pain to have to run a cord if I need to pump up a tire or charge the battery.
I hate it when someone insist they only need one outlet to make it legal and just one light. A year later there back doing it all over again.
The less windows you have the more wall space you have and it's easer to frame, cheaper to build and no one can look or break in that way.
Totally just a personal option on how to do all this from learning from others mistakes.
CTSNicholas (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Young Bachelor

Garage Type and Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I try to run nothing less then 60 amp.
All my outlets on the walls I run at just above bench to height every 6'. Always 20 amp. GFI. Where I think the bench will be I install double outlets.
I install at least 6' outlet on the ceiling for plug in 4' fluorescent lights, and an extra one over the bench area.
One dedicated 20 amp. circuit near a window for the A/C.
Two in the ceiling for the door openers. (if there's two doors).
A minimum of two outside outlets.
I keep my mowers out behind the garage and it's a pain to have to run a cord if I need to pump up a tire or charge the battery.
I hate it when someone insist they only need one outlet to make it legal and just one light. A year later there back doing it all over again.
The less windows you have the more wall space you have and it's easer to frame, cheaper to build and no one can look or break in that way.
Totally just a personal option on how to do all this from learning from others mistakes.
Thanks for those tips. Do you run 60A from the house or from the break off from the utility pole? If I run from/through house I would be burying it 4' in conduit most likely.

Good ideas on ceiling outlets, I imagine I would use florescent or halogen. I also envision outlets on the opposite sides, and having the air compressor plumbed to an outdoor chuck for anything on that side, so I don't string out the hose through the shop, out the door, around back...instead just chuck up a male to male valve in the wall, and have a short compressor hose handy.

I really like natural light, definitely have a window or two on south side which is where the woodworking tools would be, so higher windows. The location of build is nicely secluded, and also sounds like behind the house which adds more privacy.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Garage Type and Location

The advantage of detached is less noise gets into the house...like the table saw...router...air compressor.

Build two garages.....a 1 or 2 car attached to the house...then a detached behind the house....do like Joe said and use stem walls (click on the Garage Build link in my signature for an example). Make the garage look like the house...it will improve the curb appeal.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Young Bachelor

Garage Type and Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
The advantage of detached is less noise gets into the house...like the table saw...router...air compressor.

Build two garages.....a 1 or 2 car attached to the house...then a detached behind the house....do like Joe said and use stem walls (click on the Garage Build link in my signature for an example). Make the garage look like the house...it will improve the curb appeal.
Two!? That would solve a debate, but more than what I would want and want to spend...
Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 790

Garage Type and Location

Nothing makes me slobber like the thought of building the Taj Ma Garage. City of Dayton will not allow this on my minuscule lot so I have to enjoy other folks' garage triumphs. +1 on they can never be too big.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Garage Type and Location

Actually....a 1 car garage would add little to the cost of a house....

And remember....it's cheaper in the long run to build it the way you want than to go back and do it over.....

And....more important.....when it comes to garages....It's never big enough....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 622

Garage Type and Location

Plan your house / well / septic first or you'll be living in the garage.

Advertisement