Garage Opener Problem - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garage opener problem

I have a genie 450 garage door opener. The worm gear will only go in one direction. It does not reverse. Every time I hit the button or use remote opener it only runs in one direction. It will hit the stop switch and then when I hit the button again it goes past the stop switch.

Advertisement

jamesw1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

garage opener problem

It's broke.

Ok....sorry for the smart ass response....couldn't resist it....

How old is the unit? If more than 10 years...most likely not worth fixing. Might be a good excuse to upgrade.

I keep wishing my screw drive would take a dump so I can go to a LiftMaster 3800 jack shaft opener....instead of belts, chains or screws....it connects directly to the tornsion bar right there on the wall.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #3

garage opener problem

Your opener is not broken. It is simply out of adjustment in some area. Unfortunately you aren't specific as to which direction the opener is moving the door when this happens. You can find answers to your problem by consulting your owners manual, if you have it. If you don't have one you can go to the Genie web site and download it.

If you don't feel comfortable with the adjustment process needed, call a local garage door company and have them adjust and service the opener for you. It really doesn't cost as much to have it and the door serviced as it would to replace the opener.

It's difficult suggest a course of action for you without more information concerning the malfunction.

I service and maintain commercial and residential openers. Rarely do I ever have to replace one. I find poorly adjusted doors and poorly maintained openers. Once tuned up, they work like new.
CATliftTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #4

garage opener problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16
It's broke.

Ok....sorry for the smart ass response....couldn't resist it....

How old is the unit? If more than 10 years...most likely not worth fixing. Might be a good excuse to upgrade.

I keep wishing my screw drive would take a dump so I can go to a LiftMaster 3800 jack shaft opener....instead of belts, chains or screws....it connects directly to the tornsion bar right there on the wall.
Jack shaft openers have been used for years. They are usually more expensive than the normal openers found in residential settings. They aren't necessarily any quieter, nor better. If you really want one, don't wait for your current opener to quit! You may be waiting a long time!

BTW, it's called a jack shaft opener, not a torsion bar opener. A torsion bar is a spring! A jack lifts something.

No matter the type, openers need periodic maintenance, and the door it opens has to be properly adjusted and maintained in order to be quiet, efficient, and safe to operate. A good DIYer can do it, if you are safety minded and can follow instructions. If you can't be the first and can't do the second, leave it to a pro!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

garage opener problem

I've got a Genie laying out on the garage floor. It worked well for a week and then wouldn't quit running when the door opened.

I would advise you to junk it and buy a different brand.

There is no tech support that I could find. Their phone rings, but is never answered.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

garage opener problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie
I've got a Genie laying out on the garage floor. It worked well for a week and then wouldn't quit running when the door opened.

I would advise you to junk it and buy a different brand.

There is no tech support that I could find. Their phone rings, but is never answered.
One of your limit switches was out of adjustment or failed. Again, the owners manual has a troubleshooting section that can help you, and perhaps give you a number to call.

I go to the company web site any time I need information to work on door openers. I hate reinventing the wheel! I rarely have to involve a company tech to fix these things. They are simple machines. If this is a new unit, you may have a warranty issue.

You said it worked for a week. Did you install it yourself? If so, did you check the adjustments to your limit switches and your electric eyes before dismantling it? What model is it?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #7

garage opener problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATliftTech View Post
One of your limit switches was out of adjustment or failed. Again, the owners manual has a troubleshooting section that can help you, and perhaps give you a number to call.

I go to the company web site any time I need information to work on door openers. I hate reinventing the wheel! I rarely have to involve a company tech to fix these things. They are simple machines. If this is a new unit, you may have a warranty issue.

You said it worked for a week. Did you install it yourself? If so, did you check the adjustments to your limit switches and your electric eyes before dismantling it? What model is it?
Thanks for the response Cat. I did install it myself, but I am trained in the electrical trade(licenced)
This opener uses a photo cell on the door jamb. it doesn't have mechanical limit switches, per say. The travel is controlled magnets mounted on the traveller carriage and when the magnet is adjacent to a reed switch the closure signals the electronics to stop the motor.
I have been able test the reed switch function and the fault appears to be on the electronic circuit board.
I bought this opener for my house garage but it wasn't suitable for this type of door. So, a year later, I installed it at my cottage for the boat house. Then, when I had it fail, I checked the warrantee ( 1 year) and was dismayed that it had expired a month earlier.
I was prepared to buy a new circuit board, but wasn't able contact the manufacturer or any other source, to do so.
I conclude that the Genie product (Chinese ??) is a throwaway item and not worth bothering with.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #8

garage opener problem

I'd say dump it and get a new one. It's not worth hassle or expense of a fixing it yourself or hiring someone. A new one won't cost much more if it does and you will have peace of mind.

Just my opinion. I would be interested in what you do.

John
Extension Springs
jjohn230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #9

garage opener problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohn230 View Post
I'd say dump it and get a new one. It's not worth hassle or expense of a fixing it yourself or hiring someone. A new one won't cost much more if it does and you will have peace of mind.

Just my opinion. I would be interested in what you do.

John
Extension Springs
I agree! (post #5)
Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #10

garage opener problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Thanks for the response Cat. I did install it myself, but I am trained in the electrical trade(licenced)
This opener uses a photo cell on the door jamb. it doesn't have mechanical limit switches, per say. The travel is controlled magnets mounted on the traveller carriage and when the magnet is adjacent to a reed switch the closure signals the electronics to stop the motor.
I have been able test the reed switch function and the fault appears to be on the electronic circuit board.
I bought this opener for my house garage but it wasn't suitable for this type of door. So, a year later, I installed it at my cottage for the boat house. Then, when I had it fail, I checked the warrantee ( 1 year) and was dismayed that it had expired a month earlier.
I was prepared to buy a new circuit board, but wasn't able contact the manufacturer or any other source, to do so.
I conclude that the Genie product (Chinese ??) is a throwaway item and not worth bothering with.
Good diagnostics then. A circuit card is usually the only reason to junk a door opener. That item usually costs as much as the opener itself. Sorry it went out of warranty. Good luck with the new one, If you choose to replace it. Almost everthing is made in China these days. You can't escape that fact easily.

Advertisement