Garage Opener Light - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garage opener light

I'd like to wire my garage opener light to turn on from a switch from the side door entrance so I'll be able to see when coming in the side door at night. Am I able to do this using a door bell switch or possibly even a second console?

Thank you in advance,
Michael

Advertisement

Intenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
custom user

Rewards Points: 150

garage opener light

I believe it's controlled by the circuit board to time out after so many minutes. So it would be far easier to simply wire up a separate light using traditional methods, why reinvent the wheel?

Advertisement

JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

garage opener light

Those are wired into a circuit board. The wall switch that I have for my opener has a motion sensor in it that turns the light on when anything moves. You could look into replacing what you have on the wall with one of those. I'm not sure it's possible but you can check with the manufacturer of your opener.
NHtransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

garage opener light

Your opener should have an option for a wall mounted unit that also includes a light button. Mine has one.

Get the model # off your opener and see what options are available for it.

Most of the newer ones use 2 wires to control all the functions....so just installing a simple button is not going to work.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #5

garage opener light

So would I be able to wire up a second console near the side entrance so I would be able to turn on the light as opposed to wiring up a separate light and a 3 way switch?

Thanks,
Michael
Intenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

garage opener light

You should be able to.....get the model # off your opener and check the web site of the manuf.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

garage opener light

I have an alternate solution which might work better for you. Most garages are also wired with ceiling lights with a switch located somewhere in the garage itself. What you can do, is to replace the standard on/off switch with a motion sensing one that automatically turns on the light for you. This way, your garage will be automatically light with more lights when you come in with your car, or if you enter via a side door and the motion sensor detects your movement.
bigbearbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

garage opener light

I wanted a light in a window in my detached garage for early mornings, one that shined thru a bit to light up the outside door and the inside. I bought a little plug in box that is controlled by a little fob (like you have for keyless entry on a car). I bought a plug in light bulb adapter, screwed a flood bulb into it, and plugged the box into a ceiling outlet near the window. Perfect!

I also use it sometimes with Christmas lights. Best $15 I've spent in a long time. The fob works up to about 150' away by my testing. Just an idea.

Advertisement

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote