Garage Floor Epoxy Coat Finish - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garage floor epoxy coat finish

What's the main difference between a 1 part and 2 part epoxy garage floor finish? I know you can do the metal flakes with the 2 part and the 2 part cost about twice as much but does that make it twice as strong or twice as good?

Thanks,

Advertisement

bcw0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

I used the rustolium kit several years ago on my garage. Was easy to do and has held up well. Prep is the key no matter what product you use. Got to get the concrete clean of any oils or stains.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Typically, an epoxy is a two part mixture, otherwise, it is just paint. One part is base, the other part is the activator. Once mixed, there is usually an active time when the product MUST be used. Once past that time, it will begin to set and becomes useless. The cured product is usually much harder and durable than ordinary paint.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
bcw0801 (05-05-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #4
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

i had a concrete coating buisness for many years and have had to remove the one part water born epoxy that was sold at HD on several occasions. lots of bonding issues on concrete and it doesnt seem very durable. i removed about 1700 sqft for a guy that worked at HD because he listened to his co-worker in the paint dept.that told him that it would be ok to put it over xylene based solvent sealer. that was good for me because it came up really easy. i always use a good 2 part from PPG,surecrete or marblelite. marblelite sells the flakes by the pound for 1/3 the price of box stores, but i was also buying 50# min per order. they will also make any color combo that you want .
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
bcw0801 (05-05-2011)

Tags
epoxy floor , epoxy garage , epoxy information