Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Door takes 3 tries to shut after minor hit

So the garage door started coming down as my wife was pulling in and hit the rack on top of the car. She was driving slow so the damage was minor. It's an old metal door, so we bent it back in the spot it bent.

Now the only way to get it to shut is to use this process....

Hit shut... it goes down down 70% of the way and bucks a little.. then starts back up. We stop it at about 60% and send it back down.. it bucks again, but makes it 90% of the way down before heading back up. We stop it again and send it back down and it goes back down.

I can see the rod by the chain bucking right before it stops.. I was guessing there are two sections of the door hitting each other as they come together while going from curved to straight while going down.. (did that make sense?)
But I don't see anything obvious.

Ideas????

casey
caseynshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Usually that is a sign of either a cocked wheel roller or a kink in one of the wheel tracks. And, yes, if the door interlocking tops and bottoms are bent and not meshing together smoothly, that can cause it too.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Bent track, door as you mentioned is bent. That means that you may end up having to replace the whole works, including the opener if that is old. Call your Homeowner's Insurance Agent and find out what it would be to replace. Also, what you could do, is open the door, unlock from the opener, and hand roll to find out where binding, then go get the parts to fix. It will take a few hours to put back in order if able to get it to work, without replacing.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseynshan View Post
So the garage door started coming down as my wife was pulling in and hit the rack on top of the car. She was driving slow so the damage was minor. It's an old metal door, so we bent it back in the spot it bent.

Now the only way to get it to shut is to use this process....

Hit shut... it goes down down 70% of the way and bucks a little.. then starts back up. We stop it at about 60% and send it back down.. it bucks again, but makes it 90% of the way down before heading back up. We stop it again and send it back down and it goes back down.

I can see the rod by the chain bucking right before it stops.. I was guessing there are two sections of the door hitting each other as they come together while going from curved to straight while going down.. (did that make sense?)
But I don't see anything obvious.

Ideas????

casey
Hi I did the same thing this past fall I wrote it down how I fixed it on my manual
So in the morning I will look it up and post it.
I have Geni screw type door. If you only hit it soft then I can help you.
If you on latch the electrical system and operate it by hand you would know if you bent any rails.
robut
robut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #5

This is my third try to write this in.
I did this same trick last fall had the same problem too!

I can't remember what I adjusted off the top of my head but I know I wrote it
down on my manual it it's o'dark night out tonight but in the morning I will look it up and let you know what I did.

Buy the way I have a Geni long screw type system.

One dis- engage the electrical system and work the door by hand and look for any binding, try to fix this if it's just a kink.

robut
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

My Dear Sweet Husband slammed our garage door shut on his rolling tool box. Then he proceeded to try and fix it by repeatedly trying to open and close it bending rails and panel hinges.

85$ bought me a service call from a factory authorized rep. He straightened everything up replaced a part or two and did some routine maintenance. Works better now than it ever has.
gregzoll (03-11-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #7

Hi Casey
This is what I wrote in my trouble shooting guide check the position of the magnet sensor at the end of the drive screw.

I guess you would have to look at the rear of the motor drive box and see
if there is a magnet that is out of adjustment, I think it is called the reluctor ring
My door worked smooth by hand so I started eliminating the stop switches and worked back to the motor area until I, by luck found the magnet position would make a difference. Been working like new!!!
That's the best I can do

robut

Last edited by robut; 03-12-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #8

This probably goes without saying, but if you do start playing around with the door components be super careful with the springs, those things can be lethal.
rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberhead View Post
This probably goes without saying, but if you do start playing around with the door components be super careful with the springs, those things can be lethal.
Ultimately, this is why I called in a tech when I had garage door problems.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #10

Not sure of the solution.. but figured out the specific problem.

As the door comes down the Top Panel hits the front of the garage. It doesn't really make a lot of sense.. it's almost as if the whole door got moved forward a 1/2 inch.

I can pull back on the top of the top panel and the bottom of the top panel hits.. same thing if I pull on the bottom of the top panel..the top of the top panel hits.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseynshan View Post
Not sure of the solution.. but figured out the specific problem.

As the door comes down the Top Panel hits the front of the garage. It doesn't really make a lot of sense.. it's almost as if the whole door got moved forward a 1/2 inch.

I can pull back on the top of the top panel and the bottom of the top panel hits.. same thing if I pull on the bottom of the top panel..the top of the top panel hits.

If you look at where the tracks connect to the garage door opening, there are a few bolts which can adjust the distance that the garage door is from the wall. You can also adjust the individual rollers on the door by loosening the nut on the top side and sliding the roller back and forth in the bracket. I beleive all of these nuts/bolts are either 7/16" or 1/2". It makes sense that something might have shifted upon impact.

If you look closely maybe you can see where the bolts used to be. hope that helps. I used to do over head door installs, but that was a really, really, really long time ago. Can't remember the terminology...
rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #12

Disconnect the mechanical door closer from the door, so you can open and close the door manually, by hand. Look for the cause of stoppage. Something is binding. Look for something shiny that has been rubbing, fix the issue and only reconnect when you can open and close by hand. If you keep running this door, you will destroy the wimpy plastic gears. DON"T PLAY OR ADJUST THE SPRING, ALOT OF STORED ENERGY IS IN THERE.
screwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #13

Ended up calling Door Repair man.. he replaced the wheels on the side.. and that seemed to fix it.